Old 13-09-2005, 01:09 AM
paghat

Default Nursery Discount Season Starting

The better local nurseries are already starting their seasons' end sales
of 30 to 50 percent off perennials & shrubs & whatnot. It's kinda silly
because high summer is a terrible time to plant things, but autumn is a
great time for planting. But I guess most people are stopping their main
gardening chores about now & summer vacations are ending so it's time for
us cheapskates to go scooting around from nursery to nursery.

This morning I hit three nearby nursery sales. I got 'Sundown' Echinacea
which is one of those patented plants which cost way, way, way too much
for their first year of introduction, but at half price is only a normal
price. It's the reddest echinacea I've ever seen. I got 'Silvery Sunproof'
Lily Turf which is a liriope with dark-dark blue-purple spike-flowers &
variegated leaves, really much nicer than regular lily turf. I got 'Frosty
Morn' stonecrop which has such bright white on its white & green leaves
that it'll be great for breaking up a long patch of mixed green foliages.
I got 'Goldquelle' rudbeckia which is a yellow pompom double-coneflower. I
also got another tatting fern as it's one of my faves but usually too
pricy. A few other things.

In all some pretty good stuff for "left overs" on sale, some of it evne
has autumn blooms so don't have to wait until next year to appreciate
everything.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 13-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/12/05 8:09 PM, in article
, "paghat"
wrote:

The better local nurseries are already starting their seasons' end sales
of 30 to 50 percent off perennials & shrubs & whatnot. It's kinda silly
because high summer is a terrible time to plant things, but autumn is a
great time for planting. But I guess most people are stopping their main
gardening chores about now & summer vacations are ending so it's time for
us cheapskates to go scooting around from nursery to nursery.

Ah yes - a great time to go looking. The nursery up the street has 50% off
shrubs. Maybe I'll finally make up my mind on that dark leafed ninebark. LOL

This morning I hit three nearby nursery sales. I got 'Sundown' Echinacea
which is one of those patented plants which cost way, way, way too much
for their first year of introduction, but at half price is only a normal
price. It's the reddest echinacea I've ever seen.

Color me green! I saw it going for $20 for a gallon pot in southern NH.

I got 'Silvery Sunproof'
Lily Turf which is a liriope with dark-dark blue-purple spike-flowers &
variegated leaves, really much nicer than regular lily turf. I got 'Frosty
Morn' stonecrop which has such bright white on its white & green leaves
that it'll be great for breaking up a long patch of mixed green foliages.
I got 'Goldquelle' rudbeckia which is a yellow pompom double-coneflower. I
also got another tatting fern as it's one of my faves but usually too
pricy. A few other things.

In all some pretty good stuff for "left overs" on sale, some of it evne
has autumn blooms so don't have to wait until next year to appreciate
everything.

Happy hunting.
Cheryl

Old 14-09-2005, 03:22 AM
paghat

In article , Richard
wrote:

(paghat) wrote in
news
snip...

This morning I hit three nearby nursery sales. I got 'Sundown'
Echinacea which is one of those patented plants which cost way, way,
way too much for their first year of introduction, but at half price
is only a normal price. It's the reddest echinacea I've ever seen.

end snip...

-paghat the ratgirl

Do you mean Echinacea Big Sky "Sunset" (PPAF)? The nurseries that carry it
here (southeast Nebraska) are still charging a lot for it (obviously they
know that autumn is a good time for planting here), but I was able to get
the lemon-yellow "Sunrise" from a seller at the local farmer's market for a
fairly decent price, and in bloom with more buds - no "Sunset" though.

Richard

The plug grower who distributes this perennial provides a full color
nursery tag that calls it 'Sundown' & at their website they call it
'Sundown' he
http://www.itsaulplants.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=4 2

But the same ItSaul calls it 'Sunset' on this page:
http://www.itsaulplants.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=conecrazy.main

This year it has been listed randomly in sundry catalogs under both names,
& even the original grower seems not to have decided on a single Trademark
name. The actual registered cultivar name however is 'Evan Saul' which is
the name of Richard Saul's son (the hybrid having been developed by the
Saul Brothers nursery in Atlanta).

There are many new echinacea cultivars, most of them compact & semi-dwarf
& really very fine plants. Some of my favorites of this new area of
development includes the white 'Fragrant Angel' which has a pleasant honey
odor lacking in most echinaceas, tangerine colored 'Mango Meadowbright,'
'Doubledecker' which has a second circle of petals near the top of the
cone, & 'Razzmatazz' which is the first true double coneflower & looks
like a purple pompom with a radically reflexed short collar.

It looks like every year for the next few years gardeners can look forward
to a whole new array of similarly spiffy introductions, because after a
long neglect of coneflowers' potential for color variants & hybridization,
there are now several growers focused on the genus.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 14-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Travis

paghat wrote:
In article , Richard
wrote:

(paghat) wrote in
news
snip...

[...]

Sundown is 8" to 10" taller than Sunset according to the web site you
referenced.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 14-09-2005, 05:32 PM
paghat

In article wyQVe.22299$Qv6.3927@trndny04, "Travis"
wrote:

paghat wrote:
In article , Richard
wrote:

(paghat) wrote in
news
snip...

[...]

It's taller than 'Sunrise' its yellow partner. The orange 'Sunset' aka
'Sundown' are the same plant.

-paggers