Old 24-09-2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need help on starting a tree growing nursery

I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of growing
trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix with water. While I
am not expecting to get rich doing this, I hope I do not loose my
saving and have a moderate income.

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

thanks

Old 24-09-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mehrzad" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of growing
trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix with water. While I
am not expecting to get rich doing this, I hope I do not loose my
saving and have a moderate income.

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

thanks

Any idea where you live?

Old 24-09-2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mehrzad" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of growing
trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix with water. While I
am not expecting to get rich doing this, I hope I do not loose my
saving and have a moderate income.

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

thanks

Any idea where you live?

Any idea how to read North Phoenix, shit for brains?

Old 24-09-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mehrzad" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of growing
trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix with water. While I
am not expecting to get rich doing this, I hope I do not loose my
saving and have a moderate income.

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

thanks

Any idea where you live?

Any idea how to read North Phoenix, shit for brains?

Thanks for the heads-up, Bert. What you noticed was called a "mistake".

The OP's first stop should be he
http://ag.arizona.edu/extension/

Old 24-09-2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mehrzad" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of growing
trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix with water. While I
am not expecting to get rich doing this, I hope I do not loose my
saving and have a moderate income.

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

thanks

Any idea where you live?

Any idea how to read North Phoenix, shit for brains?

Thanks for the heads-up, Bert. What you noticed was called a "mistake".

The OP's first stop should be he
http://ag.arizona.edu/extension/

Second stop is to look about his area for existing working examples.

Shit for a brain Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 24-09-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 24 Sep 2006 08:39:09 -0700, "Mehrzad"
wrote:

I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of growing
trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix with water. While I
am not expecting to get rich doing this, I hope I do not loose my
saving and have a moderate income.

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

thanks

I think growing cactus would be a better idea. Anyone can become an
expert gardener fast if you select plants that grow well in your area
and with the current conditions. Have the soil tested in several
areas. I suspect your soil is sandy.
Old 24-09-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mehrzad wrote:

I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of growing
trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix with water. While I
am not expecting to get rich doing this, I hope I do not loose my
saving and have a moderate income.

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

thanks

At first glance, I would suggest growing palms. Travelers or Triangle .

As an alternative, you might consider leasing your land to a local
nursery, might be less hassle for you.

Try posting here;
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/region_sw/all/

Many Arizonan gardeners and landscapers read here. Also, some local
nurseries might be able to help you decide what the future demands could be.

I dunno

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 24-09-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 24 Sep 2006 08:39:09 -0700, Mehrzad wrote:
I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

Then you need your extension service first.
http://ag.arizona.edu/extension/naturalresources.html
http://ag.arizona.edu/extension/cropproduction.html
Make an appointment with the Maricopa Co. office:
http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/

And you need to find your small business advisory groups -- small business
incubators, SCORE, etc.

The first things I'd start with on the growing side would be soil and
water tests. The first things I'd start with on the business side
would be a needs analysis. No point in raising a crop you can't sell
because Monrovia or such is producing it cheaper.

Kay

Old 25-09-2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Kay Lancaster wrote:

On 24 Sep 2006 08:39:09 -0700, Mehrzad wrote:

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

Then you need your extension service first.
http://ag.arizona.edu/extension/naturalresources.html
http://ag.arizona.edu/extension/cropproduction.html
Make an appointment with the Maricopa Co. office:
http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/

And you need to find your small business advisory groups -- small business
incubators, SCORE, etc.

The first things I'd start with on the growing side would be soil and
water tests. The first things I'd start with on the business side
would be a needs analysis. No point in raising a crop you can't sell
because Monrovia or such is producing it cheaper.

Kay

great post - I'd say finding a 'niche' or leasing it is the way to go.

Lots of people seem to enjoy the 'pick your own'-type gardens around
here. Perhaps you could stage a coupla different crops through the year
and have folks harvest their own strawberries, peppers, whatever.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 26-09-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Mehrzad" wrote:
I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of
growing trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix.....

Any idea where you live?

=============

Every day when we feel that you couldn't make a post dumber than
you have in the past, you surprise us and convince us that evolution
has a long way to go. The OP pre-answered your stupid question in
his SECOND sentence. Read before post a reply.

Old 29-09-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I am retiring this year and hope to start my life long dream of growing
trees. I have a 5 acre property in North Phoenix with water. While I
am not expecting to get rich doing this, I hope I do not loose my
saving and have a moderate income.

I have no experience and I need to learn fast. Could anyone guide me
to some websites, groups... Or even if there are professional
consulting..

thanks

Step 1: get some experience. If you don't know what you're doing,
what makes you think you can make a successful business? I suggest
taking a job with a nursery and seeing things from the inside.

Many, many businesses fail within a year or two. The ones that
succeed do their homework. And get a little bit lucky. And plan to
lose money for awhile until they get things off the ground (no pun
intended). Since you are dealing with a product that takes years to
reach market, you may be looking at a longer window before seeing any
sort of profit.