Old 15-03-2003, 11:44 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Houston has 12:00 hours of light today

yea!
-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 16-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

J Kolenovsky wrote:

yea!
--
J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
τΏτ - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial

Noticed for the first time that the "pointer" stars in Ursa Major are
due south of Polaris at midnight. Another harbinger of spring.
Old 16-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Iris Cohen

Really? How did you accomplish that with the Equinox a week away?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 16-03-2003, 02:20 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Really? How did you accomplish that with the Equinox a week away?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

I thought the same that the equinox was on 20th or 21st March but my
ephemeris says that on 16 March at Houston sunrise and sunset are 12 hrs
apart, it also says that here (Sydney) we don't reach the same condition
until 25th March, whereas in New York NY (how far from there are you?)
it is the17th.

Assuming that my ephemeris is accurate I have no explanation for these
small discrepancies.

David

Old 16-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Matt

Refraction of sunlight through Earth's atmosphere extends daylight by
several minutes. Without an atmosphere, there would be exactly 12 hours
only on the equinoxes and at the equator.

Go here http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html and set the
coordinates to 0 degrees latitude to see that each day is longer than 12
hours by about 7 minutes year-round at the equator.

Here at 36deg 41' N, March 16 is the first 12 hour day. March 20 is 12
hours, 7 minutes -- just like at the equator on the same day.