Old 01-10-2005, 02:30 AM
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

Default Can Yucca be successfully transplanted? When to plant mums?

I don't know the type of Yucca -- it's whatever they seem to have all over
the place in central Indiana. I found some growing wild and was wondering
if I could give it a garden home at my place. (It's my Scots ancestory. I
just can't buy one if there is one to be had for free.) If it can be
moved, would this be the time to do it or would it be better moving it in
the spring?

AND, one more question: can all these nice bushel mums in pots on my porch
be garden planted at the end of October or do they need to go in before that
to be rooted for the winter?

Thx.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:34 AM
presley

most yuccas are easy to transplant. "northern yuccas" usually form offsets
as the main plant dies after flowering, and those side offsets are usually
pretty shallow rooted at first. Just don't plant too deeply. The rosette
will send down roots. In general they seem to like sandy or gravelly soil
better than denser soils. I have transplanted many, some with barely any
roots at all, and I've never had one fail to take in the new location.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Ron H

I've not had much luck transplanting the "garden mums" that are sold in
baskets this time of year. I was told by the local radio garden show host
that transplanting them while in bloom is the problem. They don't expend any
energy putting down roots while blooming and before they do it freezes. Not
sure what your zone is but it doesn't work here in west central Wisconsin.
My wife starts "hardy" Mums from seed in the early spring ( indoors ) and we
have had good luck growing them as "perennial" in somewhat protected areas.
This year we bought some really nice looking yellow mums in early Sept. and
I cut all of the blooms off before I transplanted them. So far they look to
be doing fine and I am hoping for a great show next year.

On the Yucca, we have successfully transplanted Yucca plants twice, both
times in the fall. Last time was because we were moving and couldn't leave
them behind.

Ron H.

"de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies" wrote in message
I don't know the type of Yucca -- it's whatever they seem to have all over
the place in central Indiana. I found some growing wild and was wondering
if I could give it a garden home at my place. (It's my Scots ancestory.

just can't buy one if there is one to be had for free.) If it can be
moved, would this be the time to do it or would it be better moving it in
the spring?

AND, one more question: can all these nice bushel mums in pots on my porch
be garden planted at the end of October or do they need to go in before

that
to be rooted for the winter?

Thx.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old 02-10-2005, 04:37 AM

"Ron H" wrote in message
[...]

That's interesting. I will try to make notes as to when I move them from
porch decorations to ground and see if they survive or not. They sure are
gorgeous this year. I just hate to lose any plants at winter's approach.

I had purchased some Walmart mums in August (I think) and they bloomed and I
just got around to transplanting them and darned if they aren't blooming
again. Maybe I'll snip them down a bit and let them grow roots, instead.

On the Yucca, we have successfully transplanted Yucca plants twice, both
times in the fall. Last time was because we were moving and couldn't leave
them behind.

I'm going down to dig them up tomorrow. I hope it works. I have yet to see
yucca sold at the local greenhouse so people must be getting them from
*somewhere.*

Thx.
Giselle

Old 02-10-2005, 09:09 AM
presley

Sometimes with a perennial of uncertain first winter hardiness, it's
possible to leave them in their pots in an unheated garage or other quite
cool location which doesn't stay below freezing. I have a lobelia
(victoria) which I keep in a pot because it can live in my little tiny pond.
Different books give it different hardiness ratings, so to play it safe, I
just bring the pot and all into the garage for the winter, after one or two
frosts, and set it outside again in late March or early April. Maybe that
would be the answer for your mums, and then next spring you could plant them
in the ground, to give them a chance to put down deep roots and "harden-up"
for the following winter.