Old 04-10-2005, 02:05 AM
Todd

Default Will this tree survive?

I purchased my mother a laceleaf Japanese Maple when her father passed
away two years ago.

Yesterday some idiots who were cutting down trees let a branch fall on
the maple and broke it. For some reason then they cut off the tree at
the base - leaving about 2 inches above ground.

Will it grow back?

Old 04-10-2005, 06:46 AM
Travis

Todd wrote:
I purchased my mother a laceleaf Japanese Maple when her father
passed away two years ago.

Yesterday some idiots who were cutting down trees let a branch
fall
on the maple and broke it. For some reason then they cut off
the
tree at the base - leaving about 2 inches above ground.

Will it grow back?

Maybe. You should make the "idiots" pay.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 04-10-2005, 01:29 PM
DrLith

Todd wrote:
I purchased my mother a laceleaf Japanese Maple when her father passed
away two years ago.

Yesterday some idiots who were cutting down trees let a branch fall on
the maple and broke it. For some reason then they cut off the tree at
the base - leaving about 2 inches above ground.

Will it grow back?

I believe that laceleaf Japanese maples are almost always grafted onto
more ordinary Japanese maple rootstock, so even if something did come
back, it probably wouldn't be a laceleaf variety.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Treedweller

On 3 Oct 2005 18:05:03 -0700, "Todd" wrote:

I purchased my mother a laceleaf Japanese Maple when her father passed
away two years ago.

Yesterday some idiots who were cutting down trees let a branch fall on
the maple and broke it. For some reason then they cut off the tree at
the base - leaving about 2 inches above ground.

Will it grow back?

Make them replace it. The new growth, if any, will be weak and poorly
attached. It will be a poor substitute for what you lost.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Emery Davis

]
] I purchased my mother a laceleaf Japanese Maple when her father passed
] away two years ago.
]
] Yesterday some idiots who were cutting down trees let a branch fall on
] the maple and broke it. For some reason then they cut off the tree at
] the base - leaving about 2 inches above ground.
]
] Will it grow back?
] Make them replace it. The new growth, if any, will be weak and poorly
] attached. It will be a poor substitute for what you lost.
]

Further, make sure they replace it with the same cultivar and the
same size as the plant they destroyed. My opinion also is that
what they've left has very little chance. What a shame.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Old 04-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Toni

"Treedweller" wrote
Make them replace it. The new growth, if any, will be weak and poorly
attached. It will be a poor substitute for what you lost.

Oh definitely make them replace it. That was destruction of property, and
wanton at that.
Once they find out what that little lapse of competence costs them they may
begin to watch what they are doing.

--
Toni
South Florida USA