Old 08-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Jonathan Sachs

Default Rooting rosemary

I understand that rosemary is very difficult to start from a cutting.
I think I'm halfway there, and I need some advice.

I put a young shoot in a pill bottle filled with water several weeks
ago. It is still alive, and has grown a little, but so far, no roots.
Is there anything I can do to encourage it?

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Jonathan Sachs wrote:
I understand that rosemary is very difficult to start from a cutting.
I think I'm halfway there, and I need some advice.

I put a young shoot in a pill bottle filled with water several weeks
ago. It is still alive, and has grown a little, but so far, no roots.
Is there anything I can do to encourage it?

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

Use a rooting hormone, or put some willow bark in the water with the shoot.

Lee Valley sells a rooting hormone in gel form, you dunk the end of the
shoot in it, and then plant the shoot in growing medium. The gel keeps
the hormone where it will do the most good. Go to www.leevalley.com.

HTH
Old 08-11-2005, 05:31 PM

Jonathan Sachs wrote:
I understand that rosemary is very difficult to start from a cutting.
I think I'm halfway there, and I need some advice.

I put a young shoot in a pill bottle filled with water several weeks
ago. It is still alive, and has grown a little, but so far, no roots.
Is there anything I can do to encourage it?

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

I have never had any trouble rooting rosemary. I have started two
rosemary bushes from fresh rosemary sprigs purchased at the
supermarket. I have seen roots begin to break the wood when you place
cuttings in plain water. Yes, it can take weeks. I encourage you to
change the water regularly, and to try multiple cuttings at a time, if
you can get them. You only need one to work to get going.

I also stuck a cutting from one of the plants that I started straight
into the ground. I had it staked, and I watered it for a while. Six
years later, I had a shrub that was too big to transplant.
Regrettably, I had to kill it instead of following through on my
intentions to relocate it.

Your climate may affect your results. Rosemary is a Mediterranean
plant, and I am gardening in a Mediterranean climate. San Jose,
California; USDA zone 9; Sunset zone 16.

Once you have the rosemary going, don't baby it. In its native
environment, rosemary grows in lean soil. If you provide too much
organic matter or fertilizer, you will get a lot of woody growth and
the shape of the plant will become unappealing. Also, it is not
necessary to water much. Don't water at all, unless you live in an
arid climate.

Good luck!

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Ladasky Home Solar, Inc.: blowing sunshine up your |
| power grid since March 24, 2005. Fiat lux! |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Uptime Downtime kWh generated kWh consumed |
| 227 days none 5018 4075 |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't water at all, unless you live in an
arid climate.

That means anyplace with heat running in the winter. It needs a little
water, but not much.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Merry

My suggestions for rooting rosemary would be to be patient - it takes up
to a month easily - keep the root area wet but also keep misting the
top. If there is no root, the plant can not drink, it it dries out it
will die - so mist everytime you think about it.
Colette

Old 09-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Jonathan Sachs

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:47:48 -0500, Wolf Kirchmeir
wrote:

Lee Valley sells a rooting hormone in gel form, you dunk the end of the
shoot in it, and then plant the shoot in growing medium. The gel keeps
the hormone where it will do the most good. Go to www.leevalley.com.

I've got rooting hormone in powder form, and dipped the stem in it
when I started. I have no instructions for using it this way, though,
so I don't know whether I used enough... or need to use it
repeatedly... and if so, how often... and so on.

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Jonathan Sachs

On 8 Nov 2005 09:31:49 -0800, "
wrote:

Once you have the rosemary going, don't baby it. In its native
environment, rosemary grows in lean soil. If you provide too much
organic matter or fertilizer, you will get a lot of woody growth and
the shape of the plant will become unappealing. Also, it is not
necessary to water much. Don't water at all, unless you live in an
arid climate.

I live in Chicago, so I must consider it a house plant... along with
the basil plant that I started in 2002 and brought with me when I
moved back here from your neighborhood in 2003!

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:25 AM
Jonathan Sachs

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:52:29 GMT, Merry wrote:

My suggestions for rooting rosemary would be to be patient - it takes up
to a month easily - keep the root area wet but also keep misting the
top. If there is no root, the plant can not drink, it it dries out it
will die - so mist everytime you think about it.

I tried that approach first, (while rooting in moist soil), but it
didn't work. If I kept the cutting moist enough not to shrivel, it
grew mold. Water and open air seems to work better for me.

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Jen

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message
I understand that rosemary is very difficult to start from a cutting.
I think I'm halfway there, and I need some advice.

I put a young shoot in a pill bottle filled with water several weeks
ago. It is still alive, and has grown a little, but so far, no roots.
Is there anything I can do to encourage it?

I live in Australia, I don't know if that makes a difference, but I grew
mine just by putting a piece in the ground with some other herbs. I just
watered the whole area when it was needed, I didn't even think about the
cutting, eventually it just grew. I do that with most plants. We get
frosts here during winter, but we also get hot summers.

Jen

Old 12-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Jonathan Sachs

OK, I've got some roots now!

I'm concerned that I may still lose the cutting, though, because the
lower part of the stem (below the roots) has rotted. If I leave it in
water until the roots are clearly long enough to support the plant,
I'm afraid the whole thing will rot.

Any suggestions on how to manage the transition from water to soil so
that the cutting neither shrivels up nor rots?

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

Old 25-11-2005, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jonathan Sachs

I put the cutting into soil about a week ago, and so far it's doing
fine.

I wicked the water away with a paper towel before putting the cutting
in the soil so that the roots would spread out instead of clinging to
the stem. For the next couple of weeks I plan to keep it on a
windowsill where it gets cool air and indirect light. I'm going to
keep the soil very moist. After that I will let the soil dry out and
introduce more direct sunlight.

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.