Old 10-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Boothbay

Default Non-hardy Bougie

Okay, it bloomed beautifully outdoors this summer. Brought it in for
the fall and winter and put it in a sunny, south exposure. It
eventually lost its flowers and leaves. I pruned it to make it more
compact. In the interim I let it remained there and stopped watering.
Now, new leaves have started to appear. I keep reading that when a
plant is in the growing mode, still handle it like it was done in the
summer season. Its just that the seasons confuse me. Its now Fall here
in the east. Do I water and fertilize it like in its growing season?
Also, I have another non-hardy bougie, the Harrissi variety and it
was brought in the same time as the Barbra Kurst one, and so far it has
not dropped its leaves, unlike the other, but what remaining bloom it
had, has dropped, and I did prune it too. Do I continue to water that
one too and fertilize?

Old 10-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Boothbay wrote:
Okay, it bloomed beautifully outdoors this summer. Brought it in for
the fall and winter and put it in a sunny, south exposure. It
eventually lost its flowers and leaves. I pruned it to make it more
compact. In the interim I let it remained there and stopped watering.
Now, new leaves have started to appear. I keep reading that when a
plant is in the growing mode, still handle it like it was done in the
summer season. Its just that the seasons confuse me. Its now Fall here
in the east. Do I water and fertilize it like in its growing season?
Also, I have another non-hardy bougie, the Harrissi variety and it
was brought in the same time as the Barbra Kurst one, and so far it has
not dropped its leaves, unlike the other, but what remaining bloom it
had, has dropped, and I did prune it too. Do I continue to water that
one too and fertilize?

Yes, but bougainvilleas don't need much fertiliser, and you should let
them almost dry out between waterings. That works for us, anyhow. The
shrub will produce flowers again mid- to late winter.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] bougie help Conor Sipe Bonsai 2 20-04-2005 03:35 PM
[IBC] Preserving Bougie deadwood Bart Thomas Bonsai 11 20-10-2004 04:45 PM
[IBC] Preserving Bougie deadwood Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 19-10-2004 05:40 AM
[IBC] Bougie bonsai trees Bonsai 3 17-09-2003 06:22 PM
Comparison photos of GM/non-GM (Was: Paying to find non-GE wild corn?) Brian Sandle sci.agriculture 2 01-08-2003 10:02 AM