Old 17-09-2003, 05:05 AM
bonsai trees

Default [IBC] Bougie

Hi all

This is my first message so hopefully it works out ok...

I need some info on bougainvillea that I'm about to pot up..depending on what text you read depends on what they say about management of the roots during pruning...some advice in this area would be welcome as one text says no worries to take off up to 50%
another text something else...

any advice would be most welcome...

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Search

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 9/16/2003 11:48:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I need some info on bougainvillea that I'm about to pot up..depending on
what text you read depends on what they say about management of the roots
during pruning...some advice in this area would be welcome as one text says no
worries to take off up to 50% another text something else...

any advice would be most welcome...

Assuming I read right and you are in Australia then you should be OK.
Bougie is very tough here in Central to South Florida and large specimens are
frequently dug for bonsai. I would get as many roots as possible and put it
in the largest container you can handle with soil that has good moisture
retention. I would remove enough roots to fit the container plus any damaged ones.
I would also cut back severely. I collected one last spring here in Florida.
It put out new growth quickly but the new growth tended to wilt if not
watered daily or some times twice daily in our summer heat. I have kept the new
growth trimmed to reduce water loss. Friends have rooted logs two inches thick.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Kitsune Miko

Hmmm, this is interesting. Here in California, where
we use bougies for landscape, the roots are considered
delicate. The cut the can at the nursery and tell you
to be gentle.

Kitsune Miko

Old 17-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi all

This is my first message so hopefully it works out ok...

I need some info on bougainvillea that I'm about to pot

up..depending on what text you read depends on what they say
about management of the roots during pruning...some advice in
this area would be welcome as one text says no worries to take
off up to 50% another text something else...

any advice would be most welcome...

First, I'd wait to pot it. Spring is always best. (I'm assuming
you're in the N. Hemisphere, but you offered no clue.)

What you do with the roots depends on how many roots there are,
the size of the tree, where it is going (bonsai vs. training
pot), and, of course, time of year. If for some reason you MUST
repot now (fall) do very little to the roots and put it into a
larger-than-optimal pot.

After repotting, DO NOT OVERWATER. Bougies are dry-weather
plants.

Non-hardy Bougie Boothbay Gardening 1 10-11-2005 02:57 PM
[IBC] bougie help Conor Sipe Bonsai 2 20-04-2005 03:35 PM
[IBC] Preserving Bougie deadwood Bart Thomas Bonsai 11 20-10-2004 04:45 PM
[IBC] Preserving Bougie deadwood Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 19-10-2004 05:40 AM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM