Old 13-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Registered User

Question Indoor Aloe Vera

Ive had an aloe plant for about 6 mths now. Since then Ive had it in my kitchen, unfortunatly there are no windows in my house that take in sun! Now my plant has become very limp! Can i put it under a 75 watt or larger black light at night? Its cold now averaging a high of 50 degrees during the day. I dont want to put it outside due to the cold!! HELP!!!
Thanks
Old 13-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Indoor Aloe Vera

You want to make a bad situation worse, you say?

The answer to your question is NO.

Read this instead.
http://www.cactus-mall.com/clubs/faq.html

--
eepetty

Old 13-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Jim Elbrecht

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:50:53 +0000, eepetty
wrote:

Ive had an aloe plant for about 6 mths now. Since then Ive had it in my
kitchen, unfortunatly there are no windows in my house that take in
sun!

-snip-

Note that the link Cereus sent mentions that Aloe is an exception to
the south window rule. My Aloe lives on a north windowsill from
Oct - June. It is over the sink so the humidity is a bit better
than the rest of the house-- but I doubt I water it once a month.

Jim
Old 13-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Cereus-validus-...........

Wishful thinking on your part, Jim Bob.

Did you completely miss the sentence saying: "A north or east-facing window
will never do."?

I said they can handle less intense light not a north facing window. That's
not the same thing. Day length is important too.

Old 13-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

[Thanks very much for the input!! I definatley will check out that link. I have a brown thumb. I was happy when I got the aloe plant for my B-day..since its a cactus I figured I wouldnt be able to kill this one...I always forget to water more than remember to. The only windowsill in my whole house since I have storm windows is the one in the kitchen and when you look out that window you are looking into the covered carport. So there is really no way to get it in to natural light.... Thanks for your help...I will keep searching.
Old 14-11-2005, 04:20 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Its not a cactus. Its a leaf succulent.

Don't say you will check out the link.

Check it out first and then reply after you did.

Old 14-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote:

Wishful thinking on your part, Jim Bob.

Did you completely miss the sentence saying: "A north or east-facing window
will never do."?

Preceded by "A few succulents such as Aloe, their relatives, . . . . .
can do well in low light. . . ."

I said they can handle less intense light not a north facing window. That's
not the same thing. Day length is important too.

My Aloe Vera has wintered on a north window for 10 years. [zone 5- in
a valley- mighty short days in January] It wasn't happy when it
was on the south window with the Violets- but that might be because my
wife watered it too much there.

Jim

Old 14-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Cereus-validus-...........

Maybe you shouldread the whole paragraph next tim before jumping to
conclusions?

How would you know what makes a plant "happy" anyway?

Just tell the wife to leave the Aloe plant alone.

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote:

Wishful thinking on your part, Jim Bob.

Did you completely miss the sentence saying: "A north or east-facing
window
will never do."?

Preceded by "A few succulents such as Aloe, their relatives, . . . . .
can do well in low light. . . ."

I said they can handle less intense light not a north facing window.
That's
not the same thing. Day length is important too.

My Aloe Vera has wintered on a north window for 10 years. [zone 5- in
a valley- mighty short days in January] It wasn't happy when it
was on the south window with the Violets- but that might be because my
wife watered it too much there.

Jim

[IMG] code is On

Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 09:07 PM
how to cook Aloe vera? John Savage Australia 13 07-07-2003 05:03 PM
Aloe Vera Plants rusty Plant Biology 13 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Preserving Aloe Vera? Nicholas J Ruggiero Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 02:32 PM