Old 16-11-2005, 04:52 PM
paghat

Default Setcreasea is not an accepted name

In article ,
"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote:

You want me to put together a list of the many incorrect plant names and
mistakes on your website?

That wouldln't hurt my feelings one bit. I'd be appreciative of the time
you spent, & I'd be happy with the updates & corrections.

-paggers

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Toni"
wrote:

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in
message
.. .
Hate to burst your bubble but most gardening books are crap copied from
other gardening books and not the latest scientific literature.

Actually, the reuniting of Setcreasea and other microgenera back into
Tradescantia was done quite a few years ago

But who (aside from cutting edge types like yourself) can keep up with
the
myriad and constant changes in taxonomy?
And will there *ever* be a final answer on some of these plants as far as
classification goes?

Most casual gardeners are lucky to get the old name spelled correctly,
much
less know the current one.

Synonyms are not regarded as incorrect even if not current. Occasionally
taxonimists between the USA & Europe & other nations accept different
names & argue who is right & it never even gets decided definitively, or
by the time it might have been settled, a third name is suggested by yet
another eager botanist.

It even happens that a plant gets a new genus name assigned to itself then
some years later gets the old name restored, so anyone who failed to note
the first change would've ended up being right all along. As the arguments
for these changes are often highly specialized & even obtuse to fellow
taxonomists, it is not regarded as inappropriate that old names remain in
use, & they are completely proper as synonyms.

It's nice but not essential to keep up with the minute details of
taxonomical arguments whose penchant for changing names of things not
infrequently gets vetoed by a larger concensus within their rarified &
archly academic community, many of whom are not horticulturalists &
couldn't keep a plant alive if their lives depended on it. Even the
taxonomists themselves frequently persist in using older synonyms, either
unconcerned or disagreeing with the recommended change.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Old 16-11-2005, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natty Dread

Default Potted perennials

"Lauren" wrote in message

Persephone wrote in message

Just a personal opinion -- but -- I find the term "wandering jew" so
distasteful, that I prefer to use the botanical name. At a nursery
I would ask for the plant by its botanical name.

Googling "Wandering Jew" yields:

+++++
Common name: "Zebrina Wandering Jew"
Latin name: Tradescantia zebrina - synonym Zebrina pendula
+++++

Note that the Latin name says nothing about Jews.
The meaning is "trailing" or "hanging".

One has to wonder how this unfortunate nomenclature arose.

One has to wonder how unfortunate we are that people like you were not
aborted before birth.

Jeeeeez...someone didn't eat her Wheaties today.

Old 17-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Registered User

Smile

its a good thing to put things right into the ground especially if u get heavy frosts or snow. unless u have the really heavy black rubber type pots that a few garden centers have. where i worked they had the heavier pots so u could get away with leaving some things to winter over as long as they were in a sheltered area out of really direct cold winds.
good luck with all your perennials hopefully they will survive to give u lots of beauty this coming year. sockiecat.

Lynn wrote:

I would plant the bee balm right into the ground. the carnations we get here
( might be too cold) are just annuals so either enjoy them now till the die
off or bring them in. probablt different where you live.
I still haven't planted my garlic yet . I did just have fresh carrots and
parsnips out of the garden yesterday for a soup, Yum

The bee balm and carnations are in the ground. I'm still getting okra,
tomatoes and peppers (and the rosemary and rue are blooming again.