Old 22-12-2005, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Robert

Default Frozen Calathea?

My three varieties of calathea all died after living happily in a bright
room near north-facing windows for more than a year; I suspect I let the
house get too cold during a few frosty nights we were unprepared for.

How low does their temperature tolerance go?

Thanks,

Rob
Maryland

Old 23-12-2005, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Anthony B

"Robert" wrote in message
. 11...
My three varieties of calathea all died after living happily in a bright
room near north-facing windows for more than a year; I suspect I let the
house get too cold during a few frosty nights we were unprepared for.

How low does their temperature tolerance go?

Thanks,

Rob
Maryland

Rob,
Calthea, like most torpical/houseplants, begin to become unhappy(shedding
foliage, turning yellow,esct.) at temps below 55 degrees and will begin to
die at temps approaching 40 degrees and below

Anthony B
Ky Certified Nurseryman

Old 25-12-2005, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

I doubt that the interior of a house got below freezing. In reading the
original post, my impression is that they simply didn't turn the heat on
some of those frosty nights -and I suppose the interior of the house
probably got down to 45 or even 40. I don't remember the exact numbers, but
I think it takes a well -insulated house several days to get below freezing
even if the outside temperature never rises above freezing.
"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
t...
.....and when the temperature goes below freezing, they are irrevocably
dead.

"Anthony B" wrote in message

. 11...

Old 25-12-2005, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

If you like to coddle dead plants, go ahead and waste your own time. Just
don't recommend for others to do it.

One day on a university campus I saw a worker watering an obviously dead
stump of a tree. I asked him: "How much water does a dead tree need?" The
man became very annoyed and said "I'm just doing what I was told to do." He
was an ideal pawn of a state worker!!!

"presley" wrote in message
I doubt that the interior of a house got below freezing. In reading the
original post, my impression is that they simply didn't turn the heat on
some of those frosty nights -and I suppose the interior of the house
probably got down to 45 or even 40. I don't remember the exact numbers,
but I think it takes a well -insulated house several days to get below
freezing even if the outside temperature never rises above freezing.
"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in
message t...
.....and when the temperature goes below freezing, they are irrevocably
dead.

"Anthony B" wrote in message

. 11...

Old 27-12-2005, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Robert

"presley" wrote in
:

I doubt that the interior of a house got below freezing. In reading
the original post, my impression is that they simply didn't turn the
heat on some of those frosty nights -and I suppose the interior of the
house probably got down to 45 or even 40. I don't remember the exact
numbers, but I think it takes a well -insulated house several days to
get below freezing even if the outside temperature never rises above
freezing.

It got pretty cold, but probably not freezing - we were out of town and left
a couple of the upstairs windows open and heat off.

One of the plants revived; the other two are working on becoming compost.

Rob
Chevy Chase, MD