Old 09-01-2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default fungus on forsythia?

The whole south side of my house is lined by very large and well
established forsythia bushes. I noticed last year that they have
developed some sort of fungus. It had already spread quite profusely
before I ever even noticed it, but I cut what I thought was all of it
off. Apparently this was not the case because now its even worse. It
seems as though I will just have to cut the bushes down to the ground
to get rid of this stuff because there is no way I can trim each and
every one of the infected branches - there are just too many. Does
anyone know anything about this? I thought I'd read somewhere that it
will go away on its own after a few years, is this true? I also read
that it can spread to wisteria, which I have growing nearby. ? Is it
necessary to cut the bushes down? If so, to what height and when
should I do this? I live in TN in zone 7.

Thanks so much!!

Old 09-01-2006, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 06:17:27 -0800, arproffitt wrote:

[...]

Good day Arproffitt.
Before one could give you recommendations one way or the other, we (I)
would need a better description of the fungus. Is the fungus attached to
the leaves, stems or the trunk. Is the fungus white, black, grey or some
other color? How does the fungus affest the shrub? Does it kill off leaves
or whole stems?

As you may of noticed, more information is needed. There are some basic
rules to follow.

1 Keep your area clean. This means keep all the fallen debris picked up
and disposed of properly. All infected material should be removed and
destroyed. DO NOT COMPOST!! Bag it and trash it or burn it. Composting it
will most likely spread the fungus.

2 Clean your cutting tools. Just as you wouldn't want your doctor to use
dirty tools on you, don't use dirty tools on your trees and shrubs. Many
times one will spread diseases with their pruners as may of been the case
with you and your forysthia. Clean the tools with a 50/50 mix of water and
alcohol. If the fungus is bad, then clean your cutting tools more often.
After everycut may be needed.

3 Air flow. Many funguses grow due to an enviroment that has little air
flow and the shrubs stay moist through out the day. More air flow helps to
dry out the foliage.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hi Timothy. Thanks for taking time to respond. I didn't include a
description of the fungus I guess because I thought only one type of
fungus was likely to grow on a forsythia. I didn't realize there could
be many different types of fungus. If you email me
) I could reply with a photo. Otherwise, the
fungus looks pretty much like brown/grey "spikey" balls. These grow on
the stems, not the trunk or leaves. It did not affect flowering last
year as the bushes looked just fine from a relative distance, but it
does appear to have killed some of the branches, though not all. These
bushes are very large and dense, so perhaps it was lacking proper
airflow as you mentioned. Do you think I need to cut these down to a
few inches or is there something I could treat the fungus with? I
realize you don't know the exact problem here, but in general with
things like this - what would one do?

Thanks again.
Amber

Old 10-01-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

"Lauren" wrote in message
Are you sure it's a fungus and not scale?

No matter which it is, wouldn't a stem taken to the local nursey get
the proper fungiside/insecticide to treat the problem?

Tom J

oups.com...

Old 10-01-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote in message
oups.com
[...]

Post a picture to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 10-01-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lauren

"Tom J" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lauren" wrote in message
Are you sure it's a fungus and not scale?

No matter which it is, wouldn't a stem taken to the local nursey get the
proper fungiside/insecticide to treat the problem?

Tom J

Not necessarily. The local nursery could be a Lowe's or Wal*Mart.
Remember, the OP is in Tennessee.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

"Lauren" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lauren" wrote in message
Are you sure it's a fungus and not scale?

No matter which it is, wouldn't a stem taken to the local nursey
get the proper fungiside/insecticide to treat the problem?

Tom J

Not necessarily. The local nursery could be a Lowe's or Wal*Mart.
Remember, the OP is in Tennessee.

There is a guy in the nursery at the Lowe's near me that is very
knowledgeable, although I know that's not always the case. There is a
private nursery across the highway from them that doesn't have anyone
that knows squat.

Tom J