Old 21-01-2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mr. Bill

Default Can anyone reccomend landscape design software?

I have a pretty blank slate with some carefully positioned trees (only 12 to
15 feet right now). If it were acceptable to post images in here I would
show a picture.

Well, I have many photos of the property and would like to superimpose
images of plantings to help me visualize. I have been surfing for some good
designing software but the one I most liked cost upward of 200 dollars (US).
I am only doing my house, I am not a professional by any stretch of the
imagination. I don't know if I should keep looking or just do the design
out of my mind or keep looking for an affordable tool to help me out.

Anyone familiar with any good photo based design software that they might
reccomend to me that won't break the bank?

Thanks,

Mr. Bill
Old 21-01-2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Mr. Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Post your pictures to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

When people have asked about design software in the past the
predominant recommendation was to save your money.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 21-01-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mr. Bill

On 20-Jan-2006, "Travis M." wrote:

[...]

Thanks Travis.

Mr. Bill
Old 21-01-2006, 07:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Carlock

GIMP at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win is FREE software.
It provides plenty of gadgets and gizmos in it. While it's not too easy
to use, what it lacks in ease of use it seems to make up for in other
ways. It's a paint and photo editing package and provides ways
to draw lines and connect photos, create fades and such.

It offers the following features which make it competetive with
commercial software of all types...

1) Layering
2) Animation
3) Color contrast, brightness, blending, fading, and more
4) Text insertion

If you're good with artwork, and you have some patience, the
package is great. I only have one complaint so far involving the
ability to grab and drag objects. I know it's there, but I just
don't see the hand with a set of fingers in the Tool box and that
throws me for loops. Oh, one more complaint, it requires two
downloads, both of which are available at the link above, free
of charge. It requires GTK (whatever that is and does, I don't
know, but it installs certain DLLs into the %commonfiles%
folder. And that needs installing first, then the GIMP package
gets installed.

Hope this helps.

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old 21-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered User

You can try Homeze.com - design onto a photo

~ian

Old 21-01-2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

you can try Homeze.com -

Old 21-01-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mr. Bill

On 21-Jan-2006, "Jim Carlock" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim. I may give it a try later today.

Mr. Bill
Old 22-01-2006, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
iancc

Mr Bill

Yes, I can send you the login/registration info, this is a "work in
progress" so I am desparatly seeking +/- feedback,

contact me a ianDDDlandscapeople.com DDD=@

~ian