Old 21-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Star Trek Card Geek

Default Willow Trees and Wells

I am ADDICTED to the idea of a Willow Tree in my yard. Is there a safe
distance from the well a WT can go and not invade it? We have 7 acrea
of land to play with, but obvioulsy not all 7 would allow me to
actually ENJOY it
Old 22-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Ian

I am ADDICTED to the idea of a Willow Tree in my yard. Is there a safe
distance from the well a WT can go and not invade it? We have 7 acrea
of land to play with, but obvioulsy not all 7 would allow me to
actually ENJOY it

Fifty feet should be lots of space b/t. I have a willow about 30-40
feet away and no signs of roots at all.

Ian
Old 23-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Fred Garvin

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:33:50 -0500, Star Trek Card Geek wrote:

I am ADDICTED to the idea of a Willow Tree in my yard. Is there a safe
distance from the well a WT can go and not invade it? We have 7 acrea of
land to play with, but obvioulsy not all 7 would allow me to actually
ENJOY it

DON'T DO IT. Willows are the worst tree on the planet. Messy, roots
destroy everything regardless of how far away. I just had 2 60 footers
taken down 2 years ago because a tornado just missed the house and I had
10 inch branches twisted off as a result. Plant something else, seriously.
You'll regret it mark my words.
Old 23-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Kevin Miller

I HATE mine... I've already raked those twigs 4 times and it isn't
even April yet...

The work makes the tree less 'pretty' to me actually

Old 23-03-2003, 06:08 AM
B & J

"Fred Garvin" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:33:50 -0500, Star Trek Card Geek wrote:

I am ADDICTED to the idea of a Willow Tree in my yard. Is there a safe
distance from the well a WT can go and not invade it? We have 7 acrea of
land to play with, but obvioulsy not all 7 would allow me to actually
ENJOY it

DON'T DO IT.

There are two redeeming features of willows that I appreciate. The first is
that the two huge willows we had in our yard were great climbing places for
kids. The second was that the ends of their branches were ideal nest sites
for orioles. Beyond that, they were labor intensive. Each spring we cleaned
up piles of twigs under them, and heaven help us if we had a major storm
during the summer. Hauling away broken off branches by the trailer load was
the result, providing the storm didn't break off huge sections that had to
be cut and hauled away. They're pretty trees with great shade but just not
worth the trouble they cause.

John

Old 26-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Ian

The best part about the willow trees is the explosive foraging
activity by honey bees in the early spring collecting pollen. If you
apperciate honeybees, then you will love this tree...

Ian
Old 27-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Star Trek Card Geek

Having willows as a kid, I know I spent all my summers up in their
branches As our yard is more rual and less cultivated, I'm not as
worried aoub the twigs and such. The sewer lines are on the opposite
side of the house then where I'm consdiering planting one, so my only
worry is the well. I can easily move further away from that even, but
then lose the benefit of seeing it form the house. I SO wish we had a
pond as that would look grand!

[IMG] code is On

Poison Ive and wells Fred Gardening 13 25-07-2007 07:16 PM
Weeding the flowerbeds and tree wells Persephone Gardening 1 18-03-2006 10:08 PM
Weeding the flowerbeds and tree wells Doug Kanter Gardening 0 16-03-2006 06:44 PM
Wells and Irrigation Steve Newport sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Wells and Irrigation Steve Newport sci.agriculture 0 19-02-2003 08:37 PM