Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Lynn A.

Default Oxalis Deppei - Good luck plant

I recently bought some of these bulbs. The package came with a
little basket - maybe 4" long x 3" wide x 2" tall, fiber soil and 4
bulbs. I've set it up and they're growing like crazy, the plants are
already at least 12" tall and have flowers.
In reading about these bulbs online, I see that they are commonly
outdoor plants. I'd like to keep them inside. I have a fluorescent
growing light setup on a counter in my kitchen where I successfully grow
other plants, ie African Violets, etc. Can I keep this plant inside,
under theses lights? Should they be replanted in a bigger pot?

Many thanks,
Lynn

Old 03-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Anna Merchant

Isn't Oxalis a weed ? Or are there many differing types of oxalis, and only
one is a weed ?

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

Old 03-04-2003, 02:56 AM
paghat

In article , "Anna Merchant"
wrote:

Isn't Oxalis a weed ? Or are there many differing types of oxalis, and only
one is a weed ?

I grow several oxalises & some are aggressie & others are very delicate.
"Iron Cross" is not notably invasive but becomes quite an enormous clump
with huge pink flowers. I also have a tender oxalis called O. siliquosa
"Velvet Sunset" which has bright orange & yellow leaves just as flowery as
the flowers themselves, which are bright-bright pink. It spreads nicely
but not invasively. I've the evergreen form of our own Northwest native O.
oregana, which is a bulbous variety that spreads rather slowly even
though hardy as the dickens. I've something called Chilean Wood Sorrel
(O. adenophylla) that hardly even looks like oxalis the leaves are so
strangely folded; it's at some risk of dying out of the garden in wet
winters as it likes to be dry when dormant, but if located in extremely
well-draining soil, should naturalize without becoming invasive. But I
also have Oxalis corniculata var. atropurpurea, a purple-leafed sorrel,
extremely pretty, but highly invasive. I never planted that one, it just
always lived here, but since a certain number of weeds in the garden are
inevitable, this is a good one as weeds go.

By & large it is unfair to the many restrained species & varieties of
sorrel to blame all of them for the weedy behavior of O. corniculata &
some few others that once established are never gonna go away.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 03-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Lynn A.

Anna Merchant wrote:
Isn't Oxalis a weed ? Or are there many differing types of oxalis, and only
one is a weed ?

There's some that are, I know, but this one isn't, it's one of the
more decorative ones too I think.

Lynn

Old 04-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Jutta

finally an answer to my post - thank you. As far as my literature is concerned,
it is not a weed. However some species can be invasive. Anyone out there with
any tips of where to buy more tubers????

"Lynn A." wrote in message
I recently bought some of these bulbs. The package came with a
little basket - maybe 4" long x 3" wide x 2" tall, fiber soil and 4
bulbs. I've set it up and they're growing like crazy, the plants are
already at least 12" tall and have flowers.
In reading about these bulbs online, I see that they are commonly
outdoor plants. I'd like to keep them inside. I have a fluorescent
growing light setup on a counter in my kitchen where I successfully grow
other plants, ie African Violets, etc. Can I keep this plant inside,
under theses lights? Should they be replanted in a bigger pot?

Many thanks,
Lynn

[IMG] code is On

Good lucK David Farm1[_4_] Gardening 20 25-01-2013 10:48 PM
Does Diamond Bring Good Luck hannas United Kingdom 0 18-11-2010 10:40 AM
Oxalis deppei - overwintering jrstark Gardening 6 19-11-2003 06:02 AM
Great luck with CA online store Djay Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 27-02-2003 05:16 AM
My Bad Fish Luck Continues Guys. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 10 04-02-2003 02:23 PM