Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Good lucK David

Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about catastrophic
conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow. I hope all is OK for
you and yours and from the maps I've seen you might be in a better position
than where we are.

Take care and stay safe and hopefully I'll be back reading once tomorrow's
foul conditions are over.

Fran

Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 said:

Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about catastrophic
conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow. I hope all is OK
for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you might be in a better
position than where we are.

Take care and stay safe and hopefully I'll be back reading once tomorrow's
foul conditions are over.

Holy cow, the lead story at the top of the hour on NHK World (from Japan)
was about the wild fires in Tasmania.

The danger continues for much of Australia. They were talking about high
temperatures of 42 deg C in Sydney!!!

Hope the Australian rec.gardeners are all safe and sound and keeping cool.
As the spouse and I discussed yesterday, I don't plan to complain about the
cold weather this winter at all--hot weather is far more dangerous. (And
there's been all too much of that in recent years.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Farm1 said:

Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about
catastrophic conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow.
I hope all is OK for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you
might be in a better position than where we are.

I hope to never get one of those.

Take care and stay safe and hopefully I'll be back reading once
tomorrow's foul conditions are over.

Holy cow, the lead story at the top of the hour on NHK World (from
Japan) was about the wild fires in Tasmania.

They had a record 41.8C there, the ABC weather said after a cold change late
today or tomorrow they could get snow. It's a hard land.

The danger continues for much of Australia. They were talking about
high temperatures of 42 deg C in Sydney!!!

Yes and strong winds as well. Most of the State is rated as fire risk
"severe" or worse, where Fran lives is rated '"catastrophic". There are 90
odd fires burning already and once the wind gets up in the worst areas they
are expecting ember showers to run 10km ahead of the fire front. The flames
can burn horizontally and leap wide clearings, fire breaks etc directly.
Under such conditions the firefighters can do nothing but save themselves
until the wind reduces.

Hope the Australian rec.gardeners are all safe and sound and keeping
cool. As the spouse and I discussed yesterday, I don't plan to
complain about the cold weather this winter at all--hot weather is
far more dangerous. (And there's been all too much of that in recent
years.)

Amen

David

Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Farm1 said:

Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about
catastrophic conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow.
I hope all is OK for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you
might be in a better position than where we are.

I hope to never get one of those.

do people have underground fire cellars?
it seems that it would be hard to know where
to head for if you are surrounded by fast
moving fires.

[...]

oh jeeze, that'd be horrible. i hope
everyone comes through ok.

Hope the Australian rec.gardeners are all safe and sound and keeping
cool. As the spouse and I discussed yesterday, I don't plan to
complain about the cold weather this winter at all--hot weather is
far more dangerous. (And there's been all too much of that in recent
years.)

Amen

i'll keep hoping for good rains for you
too.

songbird
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Farm1 said:

[...]

We are thinking of you.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Farm1 said:

Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about
catastrophic conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow.
I hope all is OK for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you
might be in a better position than where we are.

I hope to never get one of those.

do people have underground fire cellars?
it seems that it would be hard to know where
to head for if you are surrounded by fast
moving fires.

I haven't heard of one being purpose built. I have one by accident as my
house is built on a suspended concrete slab over brick foundations.

The point about knowing what to do in a fast moving situation is important.
We are encouraged to identify escape routes, to plan ahead, prepare the
ground and house and to make your decisions in advance not in a panic at the
end. You want to avoid making a last minute choice to flee and getting
burned in your car or staying to defend the indefensible. OTOH some houses
are saved by defenders who put out small fires which would otherwise take
hold. Not a fun choice.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about
catastrophic conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow.
I hope all is OK for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you
might be in a better position than where we are.

Take care and stay safe and hopefully I'll be back reading once
tomorrow's foul conditions are over.

Fran

Are you home yet? How are things?

David
Old 11-01-2013, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about
catastrophic conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow. I
hope all is OK for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you
might be in a better position than where we are.

Take care and stay safe and hopefully I'll be back reading once
tomorrow's foul conditions are over.

Fran

Are you home yet? How are things?

Yes, we are home again and only spent the one night away. Dunno how anyone
can live in a town and that night put us off ever moving back to one till we
are ready for a nursing home.

Things are OK here but it's still hot and extremely dry and the helicopters
are still going overhead with the water balls underneath. I doubt that
we'll have any problems unless the wind changes direction and starts to
really blow like it did the other day.

Even then we have the most important things still packed and near the door
nearest the cars and, as I said to the Butcher this morning, if the house
burns down its really just a form of extreme decluttering.

But I sure do wish it'd rain.

How 'bout you?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about
catastrophic conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow.
I hope all is OK for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you
might be in a better position than where we are.

Take care and stay safe and hopefully I'll be back reading once
tomorrow's foul conditions are over.

Fran

Are you home yet? How are things?

Yes, we are home again and only spent the one night away. Dunno how
anyone can live in a town and that night put us off ever moving back
to one till we are ready for a nursing home.

amen

Things are OK here but it's still hot and extremely dry and the
helicopters are still going overhead with the water balls underneath.
I doubt that we'll have any problems unless the wind changes
direction and starts to really blow like it did the other day.

Even then we have the most important things still packed and near the
door nearest the cars and, as I said to the Butcher this morning, if
the house burns down its really just a form of extreme decluttering.

But I sure do wish it'd rain.

How 'bout you?

No local fires but getting smoke from one about 50km away, enough to fire up
the asthma. Very hot and dry, most fruit trees have dropped their fruit.
When my ship comes in I will have irrigation to every tree in the orchard,
until then I can't keep up with them when we have too many 35-43C days with
hot winds. The BOM says many parts of the Hunter are heading for 45C today.
I am keeping the water up to the veges, we did a bottling run of tomatoes
yesterday and more soon.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
No local fires but getting smoke from one about 50km away, enough to fire
up the asthma. Very hot and dry, most fruit trees have dropped their
fruit.

:-(( You have my sympathy. We are constantly dragging hoses ATM.

When my ship comes in I will have irrigation to every tree in the orchard,
until then I can't keep up with them when we have too many 35-43C days
with hot winds.

It's appalling. I was thinking this morning as a put a milk crate covered
with a towel over a wilting, struggling Vietnamese mint, that a shade house
might be required in order to grow veg in the future. I'm really startign
to ge quite worried aobut the future given our weather patterns over the
past few years. Not so much for me but certainly for my grandkids.

The BOM says many parts of the Hunter are heading for 45C today.
I am keeping the water up to the veges, we did a bottling run of tomatoes
yesterday and more soon.

Do you use the water bath method? Fowlers Vacola?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
No local fires but getting smoke from one about 50km away, enough to
fire up the asthma. Very hot and dry, most fruit trees have dropped
their fruit.

:-(( You have my sympathy. We are constantly dragging hoses ATM.

When my ship comes in I will have irrigation to every tree in the
orchard, until then I can't keep up with them when we have too many
35-43C days with hot winds.

It's appalling. I was thinking this morning as a put a milk crate
covered with a towel over a wilting, struggling Vietnamese mint, that
a shade house might be required in order to grow veg in the future. I'm
really startign to ge quite worried aobut the future given our
weather patterns over the past few years. Not so much for me but
certainly for my grandkids.

Last week the record for the average temperature across the continent that
has stood for 40 years was broken on two successive days.

The BOM says many parts of the Hunter are heading for 45C today.
I am keeping the water up to the veges, we did a bottling run of
tomatoes yesterday and more soon.

Do you use the water bath method? Fowlers Vacola?

Yes.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Are you home yet? How are things?

Yes, we are home again and only spent the one night away. Dunno how anyone

i'm glad to hear that both of you are
doing ok.

songbird
Old 12-01-2013, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:

do people have underground fire cellars?
it seems that it would be hard to know where
to head for if you are surrounded by fast
moving fires.

I haven't heard of one being purpose built. I have one by accident as my
house is built on a suspended concrete slab over brick foundations.

The point about knowing what to do in a fast moving situation is important.
We are encouraged to identify escape routes, to plan ahead, prepare the
ground and house and to make your decisions in advance not in a panic at the
end. You want to avoid making a last minute choice to flee and getting
burned in your car or staying to defend the indefensible. OTOH some houses
are saved by defenders who put out small fires which would otherwise take
hold. Not a fun choice.

that all makes sense.

and yes, not fun. i'm sure a lot can be
helped by designing structures with metal,
brick, concrete, etc. and perhaps even
sprinkler systems on backup power supplies
to keep the house and surrounding areas
wet during the fire storms. still i'd sure
not want to be there. smoke alone is tough
on my lungs. with the added heat i'd be in
rough shape.

songbird
Old 12-01-2013, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

Sure that's possible but not affordable in most cases. Along my street many
houses are 100+ years old, typically timber-frame weatherboard, corrugated
iron roofs and timber floors on brick piers. Not a very defensible house as
there are so many ways for the fire to get into the structure and once its
in, the house will be gone in minutes. People in rural communities cannot
afford to knock down and re-build.

For new houses the regulations are much more stringent about where you can
build and the price of steel is now not much more than wood and (most)
people are seeing the sense in sacrificing some amenity in outlook for
safety. There are still those who want to build in forests so they can hug
the trees :-)

David

Old 15-01-2013, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

if i were looking at the price of replacing a
home in comparison i think it would be worth
finding something that would help. i can think
of several alternatives that would be fireproof
against flying embers and not too expensive.

For new houses the regulations are much more stringent about where you can
build and the price of steel is now not much more than wood and (most)
people are seeing the sense in sacrificing some amenity in outlook for
safety. There are still those who want to build in forests so they can hug
the trees :-)

and i'm sure they pay for it and probably
a lot for extra fire protection too. are
fire insurance rates pretty high down there?
or is the government the insurer of last
resort?

songbird