Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

Default Something Different to Plant?

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:27:58 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Persephone wrote in message ...
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 03:14:31 GMT, Charles
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:51:14 -0600, "brsher"
wrote:

I have a small garden. Every year I plant beefsteak and cherry tomatoes.
I've also planted red peppers once or twice. But this year I'm looking
for
something different to plant. I live in Missouri. Can anyone suggest
something that is easy to grow and that I can consume almost everyday?
Thank you for your
suggestions.

hemp

Actually, he makes a good point -- sorta.

People don't realize that hemp was used for so many things in ancient
times -- clothing, sails, ropes, all kinds of products.

Now, to get hemp clothing, we have to import from Canada! Ridiculous.

Today, hemp could help alleviate the looming the oil crisis -- to the
chagrin of the oilionnaires who are running this country. That's why
it will take a long time, and a desperate world situation, before
growing hemp will be "legalized" by our whores in Congress.

Hemp oil could replace petroleum in automobiles and other uses.

It grows on miserable soil; it needs no more care than a weed; it's a
natural, renewable, non-polluting crop.

Too good to be true? Not at all -- it's out there waiting...

Persephone

Yeah, but what's a home gardener supposed to do with it, other than the
obvious, which would require sharing it with the police?

I guess I got off the "home gardener" theme somewhat.

I really intended to suggest that very large-scale commercial
cultivation of industrial hemp could make excellent automobile fuel
--oil from seeds,-- as well as the use of hemp for its millennial
purposes like cloth,ropes, paper, etc. Instead of cutting down
ancient forests to make chopsticks, paper could be made of a cheap,
renewal resource.

Requires a change of national priorities; requires, inter alia,
ceasing to kiss up to the oilionnaires who run our country. In
short, requires pulling our national head out of our rear and working
toward the future instead of short-term profits and political payoffs.

But then, we wouldn't want to disrupt the long love-affair of the
Bush-Prescott family with their Saudi boyfriends.

Persephone

Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Persephone wrote in message

wrote:

I have a small garden. Every year I plant beefsteak and cherry

tomatoes.
I've also planted red peppers once or twice. But this year I'm

looking for
something different to plant. I live in Missouri. Can anyone suggest
something that is easy to grow and that I can consume almost everyday?
Thank you for your
suggestions.

hemp

Actually, he makes a good point -- sorta.

People don't realize that hemp was used for so many things in ancient
times -- clothing, sails, ropes, all kinds of products.

Now, to get hemp clothing, we have to import from Canada! Ridiculous.

Persephone

In spite of all your so called "advantages" of growing hemp (and a lot
of them are a real stretch, you appear to know next to nothing about
petroleum in automobiles)

Err...people are running their automobiles on cleaned-up restaurant
oils! WHO "knows next to nothing" about auto fuels?

and you failed to advise that the grower may spend
his summer (or longer) in jail.

Why would I have to "advise", when everybody knows about persecuting
pot growers, while subsidizing tobacco growers. Now *there's* a
REALLY dangerous drug!

There isn't a summer that goes by that
someone in my area who grows hemp (pot) is caught and goes to jail
and/or is heavily fined. Some areas of the country are quite liberal and
look the other way; some aren't and it isn't worth growing it if it is
illegal to grow it in your area. And try getting a good job if you have
been convicted of growing pot. It is not going to happen.

It's interesting to read the history of how industrial hemp became
linked with "medicinal" marijuana, and criminalized. It was not
always so. The fine hand of the automobile and oil industries can be
discerned therein. Also the moralizing of 1930's bureaucratic
fanatics, tinged with racism toward blacks.

if you smoked industrial hemp you would die of lung cancer long before you
got wasted.

rob

Old 10-03-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

"brsher" wrote:

I have a small garden. Every year I plant beefsteak and cherry tomatoes.
I've also planted red peppers once or twice. But this year I'm looking for
something different to plant. I live in Missouri. Can anyone suggest
something that is easy to grow and that I can consume almost everyday?
Thank you for your
suggestions.

if you like scallions, grow onions(even from seed) and harvest when
young as scallions. You can harvest garlic the same way as green
garlic.
full Onions/garlic can take a 10 month season over winter to get a
nice big bulb.

peas/snow peas, lettuces(cut and come again types), spinach, broccoli
for early in the season.

Mid season broccoli grows progressively smaller heads but a few plants
can produce every week or so. Skip cauliflower-only one head harvested
per plant.

cucumbers (prolific)
greens beans for summer

maybe everbearing Strawberries

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
4th year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 12-03-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell

Doug Kanter wrote:

Yeah, but what's a home gardener supposed to do with it, other than the
obvious, which would require sharing it with the police?

You'd have to share _lots_ of it. Hemp strains of c. sativa contain
so little THC that you'd have to smoke several pounds of it within
one minute to feel even the slightest effect outside of a nasty
headache.

If you really want to grow something potent, try opium poppies.
Simply take a shaker of grocery store poppy seeds and shake
liberally over the selected area of your garden. Germination
rate should be better than 50%. Harvest by making light, 0.10"
deep incisions longitudinally over the spent, swollen flowers.
Scrape up the gummy exudate and allow to dry, then
collect and press into a ball of pure, homegrown opium.

Difference is, industrial hemp is a class 1 felony, while opium
poppies are completely legal.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:

Yeah, but what's a home gardener supposed to do with it, other than the
obvious, which would require sharing it with the police?

You'd have to share _lots_ of it. Hemp strains of c. sativa contain
so little THC that you'd have to smoke several pounds of it within
one minute to feel even the slightest effect outside of a nasty
headache.

Correct, but your average police officer doesn't know the difference. Either
way, you'll be busted.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell

Doug Kanter wrote:

Yeah, but what's a home gardener supposed to do with it, other than the
obvious, which would require sharing it with the police?

You'd have to share _lots_ of it. Hemp strains of c. sativa contain
so little THC that you'd have to smoke several pounds of it within
one minute to feel even the slightest effect outside of a nasty
headache.

Correct, but your average police officer doesn't know the difference.

Then he can't prove it.

Either
way, you'll be busted.

Where I should be able to walk.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:

Yeah, but what's a home gardener supposed to do with it, other than
the
obvious, which would require sharing it with the police?

You'd have to share _lots_ of it. Hemp strains of c. sativa contain
so little THC that you'd have to smoke several pounds of it within
one minute to feel even the slightest effect outside of a nasty
headache.

Correct, but your average police officer doesn't know the difference.

Then he can't prove it.

To arrest you, he doesn't need to be able to prove that you were planting
one type of pot vs another. That comes later.

Either
way, you'll be busted.

Where I should be able to walk.

You will, a few hours or a day later. But either way, your day is over. Too
bad, if you were hoping to go fishing. Meanwhile, on the way to the police
station, the cop will pass by a few drunk drivers, and do nothing.

Old 13-03-2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
brsher

This thread has gone to pot.

Persephone wrote in message

wrote:

hemp

Actually, he makes a good point -- sorta.

People don't realize that hemp was used for so many things in ancient
times -- clothing, sails, ropes, all kinds of products.

Now, to get hemp clothing, we have to import from Canada! Ridiculous.

Today, hemp could help alleviate the looming the oil crisis -- to the
chagrin of the oilionnaires who are running this country. That's why
it will take a long time, and a desperate world situation, before
growing hemp will be "legalized" by our whores in Congress.

Hemp oil could replace petroleum in automobiles and other uses.

It grows on miserable soil; it needs no more care than a weed; it's a
natural, renewable, non-polluting crop.

But ya forgot the bestest most important reason for
growing it ....

"Pass the bong, dude!"

Err...the smokeable stuff is not exactly the same as the
clothes-sails-oil-paper, etc. stuff.

Googling keywords "hemp vs marijuana" elicits many
sites making that distinction, and explaining industrial
uses of hemp.

Sorry, dude! g

Persephone