Old 14-03-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mike

Default a better grape tomato?

I am in the Dallas area and am quite pleased with sweet 100s. I have
grown Cherry but it had less taste and were less productive than Sweet
100s. Normal tomato cages kept them off the ground and I used 3-1-2
lawn fertilizer. Several good years in a row now. Sorry, Sweet 100s
work for me and I just planted 2 more for 2006.

Old 15-03-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Elbrecht

"Warren" wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:
That distinction makes sense, although I would think these are more
marketing terms than scientific (tomatus cherrianus).

Absolutely.

Never seen a
"grape" tomato offered as large as a typical cherry. Sweet 100's were
significantly smaller than average cherry tomato I've grown-but are
usually referred to in catalog as cherry, often with some adjective
adjustment mini-, small, tiny, grape-sized. Until now I've thought of
grape-sized as a multiple-in-the-mouth-at-once size where cherry is
one-at-a-time. YRMV!

The "grape" tomatoes at regular supermarkets around here are usually small.
But so are the cherry tomatoes.

I wonder if it's a NY thing? I'm a hundred miles or so north of
Digital Vinyl and I see the tiny tomatoes sold as "Grape Tomatoes".
Luckily when I bought the plants last spring I asked for "those tiny
grape tomatoes" and my nurseryman pointed out the difference between
what was a tiny tomato and what was a grape tomato.

I grew a single Sweet 100 last year. We had a horridly wet [but hot]
summer but my garden is a well mulched sand bed so I had a great year
for tomatoes. I had some splitting, but my 8foot plant never had any
disease/mold/mildew. I dried all the excess so I kept up with the
yield all season.

Jim
Old 15-03-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I wonder if it's a NY thing? I'm a hundred miles or so north of
Digital Vinyl and I see the tiny tomatoes sold as "Grape Tomatoes".

Jim

We see the same thing here in the midwest. It is just some marketing
hype. I think that sellers ought to tell us EXACTLY what we are buying
(the true name of the tomato).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 15-03-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mike

Jim,

I am glad that you too had good luck with Sweet 100s like I did. From
the sound of this thread, anyone reading it might think this sweet
tasting prolific tomato was a bad choice. The "grape" tomato
marketing is confusing.

Mike