Old 06-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Pam

Default Copper Beech Tree

Laura Gilbert wrote:

Can anyone tell me if this tree would do well in zone 7?

Thanks

It will certainly be winter hardy in zone 7, but depending on your
location, it may not like the summer heat and humidity.

pam - gardengal

Old 07-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Corliss Bros Nursery

Too hot, but if it was out of the hot sun it might....

order a bare-root sapling online and give it a shot before you invest
in a mature tree.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:44 AM
gregpresley

Copper beeches are native to Western Europe, which generally has milder
winters and much cooler summers than most of the US. I know it's hardy to
zone 5, maybe even to zone 4 for cold winter temps, but it might not cope
well with the heat and humidity east of the Mississippi River, except in New
England and the mid-Atlantic states. If you live in the southeast, you might
consider the American beech, which is also a beautiful tree, and, in my
opinion, has prettier foliage in the winter (it lingers on the tree a
brownish gold color).
.. .

--
Laura in Virginia

Old 07-04-2003, 03:20 PM

I think zone 5 is the limit. My mother has one growing in protected location (white
cedar on the north to break cold northern winds) and people are just amazed. It is a
magnificent tree, but the only other ones we see are along the lake. INgrid

"gregpresley" wrote:
Copper beeches are native to Western Europe, which generally has milder
winters and much cooler summers than most of the US. I know it's hardy to
zone 5, maybe even to zone 4 for cold winter temps,

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM
David J. Bockman

Yes, they'd do quite well in 7. There is an *enormous* copper beech in the
city of Fairfax near where I live that must be several hundred years old.