Old 17-03-2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Thornhill

Default Rat deterrent

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition to traps and
poison, such spraying the ground near my garden with some kind of
chemical or growing a certain kind of plant. Thanks.

Old 17-03-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition
to traps and poison, such spraying the ground near my
garden with some kind of chemical or growing a certain kind
of plant. Thanks.

get a cat or terrier-type dog. clean up any trash. secure any
garbage can lids (& use only metal garbage cans). pick up &
dispose of fruit & nut drops in metal containers. make sure
you don't have a leaky hose or any standing water source. make
sure no bird seed or petfood is left outside.
and make sure any neighbors within a half-mile do the same...
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old 17-03-2006, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Thornhill

enigma wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition
to traps and poison, such spraying the ground near my
garden with some kind of chemical or growing a certain kind
of plant. Thanks.

get a cat or terrier-type dog. clean up any trash. secure any
garbage can lids (& use only metal garbage cans). pick up &
dispose of fruit & nut drops in metal containers. make sure
you don't have a leaky hose or any standing water source. make
sure no bird seed or petfood is left outside.
and make sure any neighbors within a half-mile do the same...
lee
--

I should mention that this a community garden, located next to a river
and park, in downtown Philadelphia. And these rats are quite big.

Old 17-03-2006, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...

enigma wrote:
"Thornhill" wrote in
oups.com:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition
to traps and poison, such spraying the ground near my
garden with some kind of chemical or growing a certain kind
of plant. Thanks.

get a cat or terrier-type dog. clean up any trash. secure any
garbage can lids (& use only metal garbage cans). pick up &
dispose of fruit & nut drops in metal containers. make sure
you don't have a leaky hose or any standing water source. make
sure no bird seed or petfood is left outside.
and make sure any neighbors within a half-mile do the same...
lee
--

I should mention that this a community garden, located next to a river
and park, in downtown Philadelphia. And these rats are quite big.

How close can you get to them? For $100, you can get quite a nice pellet
rifle that's quiet, and accurate. Check your local ordinances blah blah
blah, or just be discreet. There are also handguns that use pellets, but you
have to get closer unless you're very good with a handgun.

Old 17-03-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Anything that smells human repels a number of mammals, and it works
reasonably well with deer, mice and rabbit, though I have never tried
it with rats. Next time you see your barber, get a trash bag full of
hair. If applied thickly near seedlings, they repel slugs too, as they
get tangled in the hair.

Old 18-03-2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gary Groundhog

"Thornhill" wrote in news:1142576780.673427.234410
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I should mention that this a community garden, located next to a river
and park, in downtown Philadelphia. And these rats are quite big.

The rats will pack up and move to Dallas shortly in order to be with
Terrell Owens.

Old 18-03-2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer

You might try a motion detector device with a sprinkler that throws
water at whatever passes by. It's harmless and can be left on at
night. One such device is called the Scarecrow water sprinkler.
They're kind of expensive, but they work pretty well.

Old 17-03-2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

blood meal scattered on the soil usually deters "tree" rats. Ingrid

"Thornhill" wrote:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition to traps and
poison, such spraying the ground near my garden with some kind of
chemical or growing a certain kind of plant. Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Old 17-03-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Thornhill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition to traps and
poison, such spraying the ground near my garden with some kind of
chemical or growing a certain kind of plant. Thanks.

A cat with an attitude. I'll let you have mine for $3.7 million dollars. :-)

Old 17-03-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Suzie-Q

In article .com,
"Thornhill" wrote:

- Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition to traps and
- poison, such spraying the ground near my garden with some kind of
- chemical or growing a certain kind of plant. Thanks.

I'll bet you could get a good answer at news:alt.consumers.pest-control .
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/