Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 AM
gl

Default Cat Deterrent suggestions

There were a couple of interesting suggestions for possum deterrents - so
I'm hoping someone has a good deterrent for cats (sans shotgun!)
Recently it seems that all the neighbourhood cats have decided that our
mulch/garden beds are the worlds biggest litter tray. Apart from being yuck,
they dig up a lot of my smaller plants, and my dogs have a bit too much fun
playing in the cat poo.... (ewww). Pity they don't keep the cats out of the
garden.
I've tried citronella based repellants (crystals etc) but haven't found them
very effective. Any other good suggestions?!

Old 12-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Jock

gotta be careful, there are some hypnotised feline supporters here.....
1. Get a trap from the local pound, trap the cat and take it to the pound
for a jab. Tell them it scratched your kiddies and you no longer want it.
2. next option is find the cat, catch it and tie a note to it's collar
explaining it is going to have it's neck screwed the next time it strays
into your yard and send it home.
3. next option is to give it aspirin in milk then when it has expired, put
it out on the road and it will look to be roadkill.
4. Get a supersoaker and fill it with ammonia. Spray just under the cat's
tail, yep, that's right, and the cat's off and unlikely to return.
Maybe these actions are outside the options you would like to explore but I
believe and *I have heard* they can result in less visits to your yard by
cats.
Jock

Old 13-07-2003, 03:32 AM
JWSM

Harmony in the urban environment is always preferred.

A garden hose works wonders, as does a strip of chicken wire laid under
your mulch.

There is no point getting worked up over it, just try a new tact. Getting
in a huff cause you can't control the cat's actions is more your problem
than the animal's.

Old 13-07-2003, 12:44 PM
gl

I have to give you points for inventiveness!! As tempting as your
suggestions are, I think I'd better stick with JWSM's good suggestion of
chicken wire under the mulch.

But "*I have heard* they can result in less visits to your yard by cats" -
HAHA!
Have you honestly tried the supersoaker/ammonia trick? *shakes head* Mind
you, the local native bird population would love me forever if I tried some
of these tips...

Old 15-07-2003, 12:35 AM
SG1

I have found a mixture of mince beef and ground snail bait very effextive
for STOPPING visits. Any cat lover can ask for the recipe free.

Old 16-07-2003, 03:05 AM
Adam

"gl" wrote in message ...
There were a couple of interesting suggestions for possum deterrents - so
I'm hoping someone has a good deterrent for cats (sans shotgun!)
Recently it seems that all the neighbourhood cats have decided that our
mulch/garden beds are the worlds biggest litter tray. Apart from being yuck,
they dig up a lot of my smaller plants, and my dogs have a bit too much fun
playing in the cat poo.... (ewww). Pity they don't keep the cats out of the
garden.
I've tried citronella based repellants (crystals etc) but haven't found them
very effective. Any other good suggestions?!

You can hire / buy cages to catch the annoying cats with.
Contact your local council for details. Don't expect any help from
them other than a contact number though - ours won't even pick the cat
up to take to the pound.
My neighbour & I have had 4 cats inflicted on us by other houses in
the area. We were both fed up with cat crap all over our yards, so we
split the cost of the cage between us.
This way, the moron cat owners have to pay about $150 to get the
animal back, and we don't have to resort to the more traditional (
lethal ) methods of cat disposal. I'll keep catching 'em as long as
they keep sending 'em.

(Except for one very frequent offender that just won't go in the cage.
One of my friends thought we owned a cat - it's in our fron yard so
often.)
Old 16-07-2003, 07:08 AM
rapdor

Hi folks, Does anyone know what the legal position is if you are
discovered killing the neighborhood cats? I have a neighbor who allows her
cats to breed beyond endurance--my wife counted fourteen of the buggers one
morning. So we are seriously thinking of the milk/aspirin solution to
overpopulation. But what if I get caught?

Old 18-07-2003, 12:02 AM
rapdor

I have heard that "the aspirin solution" is very painful to the cat.
Whilst I have no time for cats in my yard, if I have to use a more
final solution I prefer something quicker and less painful for the
animal.

Well I certainly dont want to torture them, so will abandon that approach.

I guess its back to "live and let live".

Old 18-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Sally

Whilst rampantly masturbating, on Sat, 12 Jul 2003
13:13:33 +1000, "gl"
wrote:

I've tried citronella based repellants (crystals etc) but haven't found them
very effective. Any other good suggestions?!

A properly aimed 12 gauge works wonders. Quites a
site to see when the little buggers literally
explode! Of course, in suburbia the use of
firearms is frowned upon. Try a nicely placed size
10 boot to the head.
Old 18-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Robert B II

wrote:

I've tried citronella based repellants (crystals etc) but haven't
found them very effective. Any other good suggestions?!

A properly aimed 12 gauge works wonders. Quites a
site to see when the little buggers literally
explode! Of course, in suburbia the use of
firearms is frowned upon. Try a nicely placed size
10 boot to the head.

Traps are good.......
council wouldn't give me a trap but told me where to
'buy' one.
Within a short period ,I had 'pet cemetry' out the back and lots of native
birds...aah
Best method is to open trap and let very wild cat fly into wheat bag, twist
closed and into 44 of water....empty bag into pre-prepared 'grave'...fill in
and dig next one ready for tomorrow!
No one ever came looking for 'tiddles'...none had collars either, so fair
game.

--
Robert B* II

Old 19-07-2003, 02:02 AM
John Savage

"Jock" writes:
[...]

Jock, I declare you are mellowing with the years!! You have given a more
measured and *relatively* unemotional reply! (Gentle readers, you should
have seen some of his postings in previous years!!) :-()

Bullseye accuracy with a supersoaker might be difficult; settling for a
distasteful solution might do. Using distasteful water in a supersoaker
will remind the cat as it fastidiously cleans itself that its visit to
its neighbour's garden was not as pleasant as staying home. Ammonia or
vinegar should do. Quinine might be useful for intractable trespassers,
likewise some Ipacec Syrup (but ensure that the cat doesn't then take
refuge inside your own house!). No, I haven't tried any of these myself.

I have seen someone jocularly (no pun intended) suggest planting catnip
in the middle of any nearby traffic roundabout, but I won't repeat such
a despicable suggestion.

BTW, how much asprin is needed?
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 19-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Jock

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"Jock" writes:
[...]

No way.

You have given a more
measured and *relatively* unemotional reply! (Gentle readers, you should
have seen some of his postings in previous years!!) :-()

Not true! Just showing I am a reasonable bloke here with ideas to share. I
would rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy if you were
worried by a lack of emotion but if that cat comes back to the sandpit, it's
going to be launched off my new shiny number 10's.

Bullseye accuracy with a supersoaker might be difficult; settling for a
distasteful solution might do. Using distasteful water in a supersoaker
will remind the cat as it fastidiously cleans itself that its visit to
its neighbour's garden was not as pleasant as staying home. Ammonia or
vinegar should do. Quinine might be useful for intractable trespassers,
likewise some Ipacec Syrup (but ensure that the cat doesn't then take
refuge inside your own house!). No, I haven't tried any of these myself.

I have seen someone jocularly (no pun intended) suggest planting catnip
in the middle of any nearby traffic roundabout, but I won't repeat such
a despicable suggestion.

The idea has merit, I suppose you could add to the appeal of the catnip
roundabout by having the roundabout as an off leash area for cats....

BTW, how much asprin is needed?

A couple ground up and mixed with the milk is all it takes *apparently*..
Valium & similar are even better but you need a script. - They have better
knock down power.
Interesting to read how many other folk are having no joy with cats. Some
sensible readers out there in Oz with real solutions.
Jock

Old 22-07-2003, 05:21 AM

wrote:

There were a couple of interesting suggestions for possum deterrents - so
I'm hoping someone has a good deterrent for cats (sans shotgun!)
Recently it seems that all the neighbourhood cats have decided that our
mulch/garden beds are the worlds biggest litter tray. Apart from being yuck,
they dig up a lot of my smaller plants, and my dogs have a bit too much fun
playing in the cat poo.... (ewww). Pity they don't keep the cats out of the
garden.
I've tried citronella based repellants (crystals etc) but haven't found them
very effective. Any other good suggestions?!

Have heard of some putting LIBERAL amounts of EPSOM SALTS in with a
handful of mince and just happening to leave it for feeding time.

Cat goes home to rest after dinner...and Whammo!! owner has a bit of a
mess to clean up..........

Hopefully does'nt let cat out to pick up "bad/good food" again.

problem solved
Old 24-07-2003, 02:33 AM
John Savage

"Jock" writes:
BTW, how much asprin is needed?

A couple ground up and mixed with the milk is all it takes *apparently*..
Valium & similar are even better but you need a script. - They have better
knock down power.

Then valium might be the go. Most pensioners have cupboards full of the
stuff! I have used valium to quieten an Indian Mynah so I could try to
remove fishing line that was tangled around its leg. At first I went
for weight-for-weight comparison with humans, but was way off--I found
that about half a tablet was necessary to slow down the bird enough
that I could make a grab for it. This is much more than I anticipated.

Yes, it was an Indian Mynah. I'm too soft hearted to kill some vermin!
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 24-07-2003, 03:02 AM
Jock

"Jock" writes:
[...]

I could tell you a story or 2 about those little buggers. I don't think
they were the best import to our shores at all. A good way to get them is a
rat trap believe it or not. They love scavenging and are unable to pass up
a free feed.
Next best way is the humble .17cal air rifle (in a non built up zone of
course!). They are one of the coyest birds around and as cunning as
catshit. Shame they give the native bird's nesting sites a caning.
Jock