Old 19-03-2006, 10:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

"George.com" wrote in message news:...

Persephone wrote in message ...
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:35:26 +0000, Arman
wrote:

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them
but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots

and
20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would
love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and
unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer
perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering
plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist
peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.

Coffee grounds? Most pets don't like the smell.

You could ask the folks at your local Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
or Starbucks to save you discarded grounds - give them a container, if
they prefer not to put in plastic bags.

ISTR that coffee grounds are good for plants, as well. T/F?

Persephone

how about fringing the garden with sacrifical thornier or bushier plants,
thereby placing a barrier between the dog and desired plants? If the mut
does want to go digging it will first attack the plants which will cause
most pain and likely stop in time. This depends on where you place the
garden, how spaced it is, how big the dog etc etc.

Also, have you provided a different place for your dog to dig. It may be
that he/she loves to dig and would leave thegarden alone if he/she had

their
own digging patch. It may not work but is perhaps worth a try.

maybe try setting aside a patch for the dog and start of burying the odd bon
e or dog biscuit just below the soil. Provided the dog doesn't mind the
taste of a little earth it will develop that patch, digging and something
nice to eat. Doggy may decide bones are better than plants.

rob