Old 19-03-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

"Valkyrie" wrote in message

Also, have you provided a different place for your dog to dig. It may be
that he/she loves to dig and would leave thegarden alone if he/she had
their
own digging patch. It may not work but is perhaps worth a try.

Bad idea. That's like giving your dog an old shoe to chew on and then

wonder
why you come home to all your new shoes chewed up. MOST dogs don't
understand that you can dig up anything 'here' but don't dig 'there'. You
need to teach it to not dig, period. Best way is to break the dog of

digging
OR you have chosen a breed that digs not matter what because the ancestors
have spent the past 400 years or more digging up rodents and other

burrowing
creatures. In that case........get used to the digging.

yes, you may be very correct. I windered whether it was a symptom of being
bored perhaps. Dogs need stimulation and the digging may be a reaction to
lack of activities. Obviously having their own sand pit isn't a good
substitution if you are trying to wean them off digging.

rob

Old 19-03-2006, 05:35 AM
Registered User

Unhappy How to keep dogs off my container plants??

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots and 20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.
Old 19-03-2006, 08:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:35:26 +0000, Arman
wrote:

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them
but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots and
20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would
love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and
unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer
perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering
plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist
peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.

Coffee grounds? Most pets don't like the smell.

You could ask the folks at your local Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
or Starbucks to save you discarded grounds - give them a container, if
they prefer not to put in plastic bags.

ISTR that coffee grounds are good for plants, as well. T/F?

Persephone
Old 19-03-2006, 10:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

wrote:

[...]

how about fringing the garden with sacrifical thornier or bushier plants,
thereby placing a barrier between the dog and desired plants? If the mut
does want to go digging it will first attack the plants which will cause
most pain and likely stop in time. This depends on where you place the
garden, how spaced it is, how big the dog etc etc.

Also, have you provided a different place for your dog to dig. It may be
that he/she loves to dig and would leave thegarden alone if he/she had their
own digging patch. It may not work but is perhaps worth a try. When we moved
into our current place there were no gardens for the cats to crap in so they
used the lawn(killing it) or flower pots. When I put in some gardens they
started using those.

Camphour (I am told) is supposed to be a deterrant to dogs and cats. Moth
balls, perhaps in an old sock, may do the trick. It is possible to buy
camphour mixed into saw dust that can be spread around and supposedly break
the cycle of bog and digging.

rob

Old 19-03-2006, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Put a fence around the garden, solar-powered electric is easy to
install and works well.

Old 19-03-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

sigh. it is a training thing. put a leash on them. walk them up to the plant,
point to it, yell no and haul them away. do this about 10 times and they should
start putting the brakes on as you start to haul them up to the pots. if this doesnt
work then put a bit of bitter apple in a sprayer, or, get the bitter apple spray and
hit them with that. soon they form a negative link with approaching the pots.
dont put fertilizer on top of the dirt. also mulch the pots and spray with bitter
apple. I had a dog got into and mostly ate bone meal. blood meal would also attract
them. OTOH, I dont leave my dogs out alone in our very fenced in and private yard
because I dont want them thinking up mischief or being stolen. Ingrid

Arman wrote:

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them
but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots and
20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would
love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and
unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer
perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering
plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist
peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com

Old 20-03-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Arman" wrote in message

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them
but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots and
20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would
love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and
unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer
perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering
plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist
peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.

A short list of living things were complete mistakes. Dogs, mosquitoes and
viruses. You're wondering how to make your dog behave acceptably? You've got
to be kidding. Do the world a favor and slit it throat.

add trolls to the list

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 20-03-2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Oren

wrote:

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them
but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots and
20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would
love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and
unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer
perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering
plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist
peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.

Try:

1 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs garlic powder
1-2 drops of liquid dish soap
2 cups water

Mix in spray bottle, spray around the area. Re-apply after rain.

OR

2 tsp hot sauce
2 crushed cloves
2 tsp liquid dish soap
3 cups water

Mix in spray bottle, spray around the area. Re-apply after rain.

I've used this method to keep dogs from "shittin'" on the lawn. It
won't hurt a lawn and I suspect not your flowers.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Old 20-03-2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
. net...
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Arman" wrote in message

[...]

This is not a troll. You've been trained by your dog. With help, you can get
your mind back. It'll be a long road, though. Good luck.

Old 20-03-2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Arman" wrote in message

[...]

Don't you feel suggesting someone slit their dog's throat seemed harsh?
I apologize for the troll remark if I misunderstood.
No question folks sometimes do get trained by their dogs, ats and other
pet's behaviors. Once you realize what the animal's motivations are, you
have half the battle won.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 20-03-2006, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
. com...

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Arman" wrote in message

[...]

No, not harsh at all. Like child molesters, dogs have no place in a polite
society. Perhaps they were designed to live in packs, in the woods, and
clean up rotting dead animal flesh, much like maggots. But, they don't
belong anywhere near human populations.

I apologize for the troll remark if I misunderstood.

Apology accepted.

No question folks sometimes do get trained by their dogs, ats and other
pet's behaviors. Once you realize what the animal's motivations are, you
have half the battle won.

Carl

All animals have characteristics which are unchangeable. For instance, if
you step into a tiger's cage, it is assumed that you want to die, because
the vast majority of the time, a tiger will kill you if you stop by for a
visit. Dogs are the same way. You can assume certain things about them. Make
a list of 10 possible things an unattended dog might do, and if 9 of those
things are stupid, destructive or annoying, you can bet a year's pay that
the dog will choose one or more of those 9 things 100% of the time. The only
acceptable thing it might do is sleep. The other 9 include such delights as
crapping on the rug, crapping specifically where innocent people need to
walk, barking until the police arrive, biting someone, chewing furniture,
wrapping their leashes around trees until they're choking (a good thing,
actually, but still stupid), digging in neighbors' gardens.

Old 20-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kanter
"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
. com...
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan"
wrote in message
. net...

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Arman"
wrote in message

[...]

what are you doing in my thread? if you don't have any valid suggestions ... please go crap in your own thread. and if you aren't a troll .. i don't know who else qualifies to it !!!!

just like a child molester .. i believe you should be shot on sight !!! for animal cruelty. now go dig for trouble somewhere else.
Old 20-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:35:26 +0000, Arman

Try:

1 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs garlic powder
1-2 drops of liquid dish soap
2 cups water

Mix in spray bottle, spray around the area. Re-apply after rain.

OR

2 tsp hot sauce
2 crushed cloves
2 tsp liquid dish soap
3 cups water

Mix in spray bottle, spray around the area. Re-apply after rain.

I've used this method to keep dogs from "shittin'" on the lawn. It
won't hurt a lawn and I suspect not your flowers.

Oren

Hi Oren & others who have made some valid suggestions,

Thank you!!!!!

I am going to try the moth ball and this spray suggestion and see how it goes. Trouble is where I live, its hot ... real hot .. so i have to water my plants twice a day so they won't wilt. will the moth ball hurt the plants? also how safe is it in vege containers? right now i am growing varieties of lettuce, leafy veges (spinach) and beans, is it safe to keep moth ball in those containers?

i like using organic fertiliser, so some i mulch and i also use tea leaves and grounded up egg shells, could they be attracting the dogs?

rob, you might have a point abt the dogs being bored. i train and show dogs but recently i've been so busy between work, my toddler, my evening classes at the university and a bunch of house guests who show sign of leaving that i have actually neglected my dogs quite a bit. so like someone here said, now that i've realised that they are bored, maybe doing something abt that will help get them off my plants. hmmm... !!

thanks again for your inputs everyone! really appreciate them! i am attaching a pic of my hanging flower pots that have escaped my dogs .. lol, this is from last year tho, so now the total container count is 80+.

take care everyone & thanks again,
arman.
Attached Thumbnails
How to keep dogs off my container plants??-dsc005631.jpg