Old 29-05-2005, 06:06 AM
Registered User

Exclamation How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Hi All,

I usually lurk around here and this is my very first post. I have recently taken up container gardening in my rooftop (its a rented apartment) and I DO NOT have a green thumb. However after 3 months of trying, I now I have reasonably good looking plants that I have managed not to kill from watering too much or too little. In fact they had bloomed so I presumed that I was doing well. Now my dogs have dug up half my garden. They have dug out the plants, chewed on them (they are canine safe), dug out all the soil from the pots and basically killed my plants.

this isn't the first time this has happened, but usually they would target one plant and cease such destructive activities when i moved the offending plant to some place they don't have access too. but now this is too much, they've dug up ALL the plants they could get their paws on ... grrrrr!!

so i guess what i am asking is ... has anyone out there had this problem? and what did you do about it? how do i get them to keep their paws off my containers? i have 2 dogs and i love to death i would rather give up gardening then my dogs, but i would love a solution that would enable them to co-exist.

Thanks in advance,
Arman.
Old 29-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Toni

"Arman" wrote in message

so i guess what i am asking is ... has anyone out there had this
problem? and what did you do about it? how do i get them to keep their
paws off my containers? i have 2 dogs and i love to death i would
rather give up gardening then my dogs, but i would love a solution that
would enable them to co-exist.

Supervision, training, or a fence/barrier.
Any of the three will work.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Old 29-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Vox Humana

"Arman" wrote in message

[...]

You can try putting some hardware cloth *available at any hardware store)
over the soil. The dogs probably will be put-off by the texture. Also, pet
stores sell repellant sprays to keep dogs away from areas. I'm not sure
they work very well, but they are inexpensive and you might give it a try.
My neighbors put mothballs in their container and claim it keeps the
wildlife away. I find the smell unpleasant and it drifts into my yard.
Again, you might try, but if you have close neighbors, you might talk to
them first.

Old 30-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Humana
You can try putting some hardware cloth *available at any hardware store)
over the soil. The dogs probably will be put-off by the texture. Also, pet
stores sell repellant sprays to keep dogs away from areas. I'm not sure
they work very well, but they are inexpensive and you might give it a try.
My neighbors put mothballs in their container and claim it keeps the
wildlife away. I find the smell unpleasant and it drifts into my yard.
Again, you might try, but if you have close neighbors, you might talk to
them first.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I am going to give it a shot. First the hardware cloth, then the mothballs. One question tho, is mothballs safe for both the plants & the dogs? Wouldn't want it to cause more harm then good.

Thanks again,
Arman.

p.s. Mothballs used to keep my cats off from plants but they never showed any tendency to chew on them .. but i am sure the dogs will be a different story.
Old 30-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered User

Angry

[I just walked in to my garden to discover that my 12 year old yorkshire terrier has dug out the newly planted bedding plants from a container on the desking. I have had to replant them and remove the chew stick that she has buried. The dog just stood there and give me a look as much as to say Why are you disturbing my chew stick. She walk off and give me another backwards glance of contempt. Why is it that I have a large garden , full of beds but she always choses to dig in the containers. I think we both have the same problem but I unfortunately do not have an answer! Sorry Stephanie R QUOTE=Arman]Hi All,

[...]

Arman.[/quote]

Old 30-05-2005, 08:11 PM
axemanchris

"Arman" wrote in message

Vox Humana Wrote:

[...]

Mothballs are poison. Not safe at all for dogs or for people. My dogs will
eat anything, so mothballs are something I would never put where they could
access them.

Jacqui

Old 31-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Arman[/i][/color]

Mothballs are poison. Not safe at all for dogs or for people. My dogs will
eat anything, so mothballs are something I would never put where they could
access them.

Jacqui

thanks Jacqui, think i will steer clear of the mothballs then. i another suggestion from a doggie board, put pepper spray on q-tip and smear it on the leaves to discourage dogs from biting, pulling out plants. think it will work?

Stephanie, i understand your pain !!

take care,
arman.
Old 31-05-2005, 04:47 PM
axemanchris

"Arman" wrote in message

axemanchris Wrote:

Arman

Mothballs are poison. Not safe at all for dogs or for people. My dogs
will
eat anything, so mothballs are something I would never put where they
could
access them.

Jacqui

thanks Jacqui, think i will steer clear of the mothballs then. i
another suggestion from a doggie board, put pepper spray on q-tip and
smear it on the leaves to discourage dogs from biting, pulling out
plants. think it will work?

Stephanie, i understand your pain !!

take care,
arman.

--
Arman[/i][/color]

The pepper spray might work. Pet shops also carry a bitter apple spray that
your dog might hate. I have 2 basset hounds that love to chew just about
anything. They will, however, not chew anything that the bitter apple is
on. You would have to reapply bitter apple or pepper spray every so often,
especially after you've watered the plants or it rains.

Jacqui

Old 01-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Arman

The pepper spray might work. Pet shops also carry a bitter apple spray that
your dog might hate. I have 2 basset hounds that love to chew just about
anything. They will, however, not chew anything that the bitter apple is
on. You would have to reapply bitter apple or pepper spray every so often,
especially after you've watered the plants or it rains.

Jacqui

Thanks Jacqui !! I live in Dhaka, Bangladesh so pet shops here are pretty rare and I've never seen them carry the bitter apple spray. This weekend though I am going to boil some Neem leaves (medicinal plant but VERY VERY bitter), cool the mixture and then spray it on the plants. Hopefully just the smell of it will gag my two dogs away from the plants.

BTW, I love basset hounds! I think they are incredibly cute and cuddly One of mine is a germanshepherd and the other is a dobie X.

Take care,
Arman.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:43 PM
axemanchris

"Arman" wrote in message

Arman

[...]

The Neem leaves could be a good solution. Let me know how they work. I
might try to find a Canadian equivalent to try if you have success with
that.

And yes, basset hounds are 40 lb lap dogs! They are really loveable!

Jacqui

Old 06-06-2005, 02:47 AM
J.R. in MI

Perhaps you should offer an alternative choice for your dogs' digging
and chewing recreation. How about a sand box with sticks and leather
chews buried? When they approach your plants you could scold and
direct them to theirs.