Old 27-03-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help with dwarf cherry trees

I have a pair of dwarf cherry trees. Both leaf out fine in the spring
but one looses it's leaves shortly thereafter. The other seems pretty
well but I have noticed a branch or 2 starting to do the same thing as
the other tree. Is there a cure for this? I don't see any other
problems on the surface.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 27-03-2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:06:31 -0800, fredmertz_1 wrote:

I have a pair of dwarf cherry trees. Both leaf out fine in the spring but
one looses it's leaves shortly thereafter. The other seems pretty well
but I have noticed a branch or 2 starting to do the same thing as the
other tree. Is there a cure for this? I don't see any other problems on
the surface.

Thanks,
Tim

Good day Tim, sounds like you may have leaf spot. Check out this page:

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts...ca tegoryID=3

Sorry for the huge url. You can go to the home page and search out the
other pages on cherry issues. Go here to do that:

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/

Go to tree fruits cherry . This site has good infomation.... too bad
they used frames and bookmarking is a bit hard.
Good luck.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/info
Old 27-03-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

Where do you live and did you get the trees from one of those places
like WalMart. Now contact the Extension Office in your area.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 28-03-2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

I live in Minnesota, got the cherry trees at a nursery going out of
busniess auction. What extension office in my area? The U of M will
never answer the phone.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 28-03-2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

I don't know about yours, but most towns will have a County Extension Office
somewhere. If you don't find it, contact some from the fair board and ask
how you get in touch with a representative of U of M. I live in a town of
4500 now, and moved here from one in Arkansas that had 3500 population.
Both have a County Extension Office.

Dwayne
ups.com...

Old 28-03-2006, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Need more information. How old are these trees? What variety of cherry?
What
climate zone are you in? What rootstock are they on? Did the effected
tree ever
look healthy and/or give fruit, or was it like that from the beginning.
What kind of
soil are they growing in? What other trees and plants are growing nearby?

Do the fallen leaves look attacked? Any of these questions and possibly
more
can give clues as to the cause of the problem.
Just read you live in Minnesota. Cherry trees should be cold hearty
there, but there
are some varieties and/or rootstocks only good up to zone 5 (you must be
in zone 4)

Sherwin D.

Old 28-03-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

sherwindu wrote:
Need more information. How old are these trees? Planted about 13 years ago from a 5 gallon size nursery pot.

What variety of cherry? Montmorency (sp)
What climate zone are you in? 4 close to 5

What rootstock are they on? unknown

Did the effected
tree ever
look healthy and/or give fruit, or was it like that from the beginning. They were great till a couple years ago.

What kind of soil are they growing in? Clay, on a hill with good air
circulation.

What other trees and plants are growing nearby? Apple, Plum, Birch,
Willow, Pine... They all seem fine, I chase fire blight on the apples
from time to time.

Do the fallen leaves look attacked? No, doesn't look like insect work at all.

Any of these questions and possibly
more
can give clues as to the cause of the problem.
Just read you live in Minnesota. Cherry trees should be cold hearty
there, but there
are some varieties and/or rootstocks only good up to zone 5 (you must be
in zone 4)

Sherwin D.

Hope this helps, I guess so far that I need to use a fungis spray,
before they leaf out and after the blooms fall off.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 28-03-2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

Look in County Offices. Should be a Extension Office Listing. If they
don't answer call your County Commissioner they help pay for it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 29-03-2006, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Hi Fred,
I also have a Montmorency tree here in zone 5 just north of Chicago. It is now
about 15 years old and still producing good crops. There have been a few seasons
where there was some leaf attack, but the tree always came back. It seems very
strange that your problem has not shown up in some form with damaged leaves.
It could be that the dwarf tree is approaching its life span limit, although I would
expect a few more years from your tree. If it is a fungus, it's a strange one that does
not give any indicators. Spraying for fungus certainly would not hurt. I sprayed my
stone fruits today with lime-sulfer spray to start off the season. You may want to do
the same.

Sherwin D.

Old 29-03-2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

good rootstock is essential. I once bought some stone fruits on bad rootstock they
grew great and 3rd year just died suddenly. incompatible root stock.
now I get my cherries from raintree or Bay Laurel, never from discount stores or
places like Stark or Miller. Ingrid

wrote:
What rootstock are they on? unknown

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at