Old 05-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Dennis Brown

Default Potted roses

Hey all,

We moved to Cary and I brought my roses with us. I had them in small gallon
pots over the winter thinking when we moved out of my mother-in-laws it
would be into a house. Jokes on me as we have leased a condo near 64/US1. I
have planted them into large pots to sit on our patio, problems a 1-
limited sun in morning and afternoon 2- how much water do they need being in
pots instead of the ground?

Any help with this would be great. I transplanted them using 3 parts potting
soil, 2 parts of the soil that came with them from our old house, and 1 part
cow manure 5-5-5. I did place drainage rocks in the bottom of the pots.

Thanks,
Dennis Brown

Old 05-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Doc Muhlbaier

For a rose in the ground, Witherspoon Rose Culture recommends 5
gallons/week. I would expect that a rose in a pot would require at least
that much if it got lots of sun (heat on the roots). With limited sun, you
can probably get by with 4-5 gallons/week.

You may call Witherspoon's directly; I've always found their advice helpful.
http://www.witherspoonrose.com/

BTW, a stop out there this week should be awesome! This is the prime week
of the year for roses in the Triangle. Witherspoon's has over 600 roses
planted in formal gardens and welcomes visitors.

Doc Muhlbaier

. ..

potted miniature roses Dick E. Roses 6 22-03-2011 11:09 PM
Newbie questions about potted roses [email protected] Gardening 5 14-04-2006 06:17 PM
Source for Potted Budded roses... Theo Asir Roses 0 20-06-2003 04:44 PM
Planting potted plants? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
watering potted lemon? Mike Wagenbach Edible Gardening 1 17-03-2003 04:08 AM