Old 11-04-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
foo

Default Sterile Peppers?

Hi. I have been growing peppers since OCTOBER of 2005 and they are now
flowering. Granted, they were grown indoors under weak daylight
florescent bulbs but I reckon this has been way too long.

I do not not much about gardening so please don't chastise me. I am
noticing that the peppers (which are now standing 2' tall and not
root-bound) are flowering over-and-over again and not producing fruit.

My guess is that they are not being pollinated and as such they won't
produce fruit. I could be wrong, of course.

My other guess which is that perhaps that plants are sterile? Is it
possible I got bad seeds? Would they even flower?

I have *tons* of flowering points on my pepper plants and they
gradually fall off and the tips die off. I can only guess this is
because they have not been pollinated by a bee, bug, whatever. I am
concerned because these plants, if pollinated, would now produce a huge
yield based on their size. Right now they are about two feet tall
which is about a foot higher than i've grown them in the past. I'd
*really* love for them to produce fruit.

I am putting them outside now thats it warmer here in the mid-atlantic
in hopes of them being pollinating by a nice bee or such.

Am I off base here? Will someone please correct me or affirm my
suspicions?

Very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
James

"foo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Pollinate those flowers yourself for indoor plants. Just tickle the center
of the flower with a pencil eraser. Works for me.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
foo

oh my god can I please ask how the hell this works?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 13-04-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

James wrote:
Pollinate those flowers yourself for indoor plants. Just tickle the

center
of the flower with a pencil eraser. Works for me.

Q-Tips work well for this, too.
Old 13-04-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

foo wrote:
oh my god can I please ask how the hell this works?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhhhhh, erm, well... there are birds... and, uh, bees, and... um...

blush

Old 13-04-2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
foo

Yeah but no birds or bees are involved here

Thanks for the tips. I'm praying this works...they are outdoors now so
i'm thinking its going to happen naturally with an exceedingly high
pollen count incrementing every day.

[IMG] code is On

Non Woven Fabrics for Sterile wraps Alli Gardening 1 07-11-2008 12:10 AM
Non Woven Fabrics for Sterile wraps Alli Lawns 0 06-11-2008 05:51 PM
Source of sterile scalpel blades [email protected] North Carolina 3 23-03-2005 11:05 PM
Sterile Seed Q Ellen Gardening 2 12-01-2005 03:24 AM
Are Hydrangea paniculata seeds Sterile? dhmeiser Gardening 2 15-09-2004 04:57 AM