Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Ellen

Default Sterile Seed Q

Last year I bought Burpee Seeds (flower) from Wal-Mart. When I went to
plant them, I noticed they had been packaged in France. A month or so
later, beautiful foliage, but not one bud or flower.

I managed to find some more seeds on the shelves (Martha Stewart), also
packaged in France. These did produce some puny blooms toward the end of
the season.

How do I avoid having this happen? I am in Northern Michigan, so the season
is short and seed stock is not re-ordered.

Is France the problem? Lowe's just opened but I do not know what brand they
will carry.

Any suggestions would be welcome. TIA.

Ellen

Old 09-01-2005, 10:18 PM

you need to buy some of their cheapest seeds and do a germination test to see if the
seeds are worth the money. good garden stores will not stock old seed, poor ones
will thinking amateur gardeners will blame themselves for lack of germination.
marigolds are good seeds to try a germination test on. just test 10.
walmart may be the worst place to get seed. of course, always look to see what date
it was packaged for.
many plants need to be started indoors and moved out in northern climates.
Ingrid

"Ellen" wrote:

Last year I bought Burpee Seeds (flower) from Wal-Mart. When I went to
plant them, I noticed they had been packaged in France. A month or so
later, beautiful foliage, but not one bud or flower.

I managed to find some more seeds on the shelves (Martha Stewart), also
packaged in France. These did produce some puny blooms toward the end of
the season.

How do I avoid having this happen? I am in Northern Michigan, so the season
is short and seed stock is not re-ordered.

Is France the problem? Lowe's just opened but I do not know what brand they
will carry.

Any suggestions would be welcome. TIA.

Ellen

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:24 AM
Richard

"Ellen" wrote in
:

Last year I bought Burpee Seeds (flower) from Wal-Mart.

What kind of flower? Zinnia? Hollyhock? Were they annuals biennials or
perennial flowers?

When I went
to plant them, I noticed they had been packaged in France.

When did you plant the seeds? In Northern Michigan, you might have to
start certain long growing varieties indoors and transplant them out
after frosts end in order to get blooms.

A month or
so later, beautiful foliage, but not one bud or flower.

A month isn't much time, when starting from seed, for some varieties to
start blooming. How about after 2, 3 months?

I managed to find some more seeds on the shelves (Martha Stewart),
also packaged in France. These did produce some puny blooms toward
the end of the season.

Again, what kind of flowers were supposed to be coming from the 'seeds'?

How do I avoid having this happen? I am in Northern Michigan, so the
season is short and seed stock is not re-ordered.

Is France the problem?

Depends if you're a red state or a blue state...

Lowe's just opened but I do not know what
brand they will carry.

Any suggestions would be welcome. TIA.

Ellen

[IMG] code is On

Non Woven Fabrics for Sterile wraps Alli Gardening 1 07-11-2008 12:10 AM
Non Woven Fabrics for Sterile wraps Alli Lawns 0 06-11-2008 05:51 PM
Sterile Peppers? foo Gardening 5 13-04-2006 10:00 PM
Source of sterile scalpel blades [email protected] North Carolina 3 23-03-2005 11:05 PM
Are Hydrangea paniculata seeds Sterile? dhmeiser Gardening 2 15-09-2004 04:57 AM