Old 14-04-2006, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is eating my Primrose?

Something is eating the leaves of my mixed hardy primrose plants. Can this
be slugs or something else? I put out a beer trap yesterday just in case.

--
Elaine

Old 14-04-2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
Something is eating the leaves of my mixed hardy primrose plants. Can this
be slugs or something else? I put out a beer trap yesterday just in case.

--
Elaine

Got deer, woodchucks or rabbits in the neighborhood? One way to find out
(sort of) is to stick a little wire cage over some of the plants. If they're
still being eaten, it's not mammals.

Old 15-04-2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

hmmm good idea, I will try the cage and see. Funny thing out of 15 plants
they picked the runt of the litter to pick on.
Might have been a rabbit. One was seen a few days ago roaming around the
neighborhood looking for trouble.

Thanks for the tip. BTW my beer trap was empty today so it must be a 4
legged mammal type.

Old 16-04-2006, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yep and he was up to no good (they said he had a tattoo of a skulk and
crossbones on his ear.)

If I use my plastic pond netting I use to keep leaves out in the fall do
you think he will chew thru that? I don't have the wire to cover that big of
a bed. 4x8ft.and if I just cover the one he's been eating he will probably
just eat the others.

Old 17-04-2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

I would not trust netting to take care of this problem. I'd head to a home
supply store and get a roll of fence wire. There's a type coated with green
plastic. It blends nicely with flower beds. Make a raised cover for the
entire bed. The holes in the fence wire are big enough for leaves & flowers
to grow through.

. ..

wrote in message
Something is eating the leaves of my mixed hardy primrose plants. Can
this be slugs or something else? I put out a beer trap yesterday just
in case.

--
Elaine

Got deer, woodchucks or rabbits in the neighborhood? One way to find
out (sort of) is to stick a little wire cage over some of the plants.
If they're still being eaten, it's not mammals.

[IMG] code is On

Q. Where can I get evening primrose flower heads dennis Gardening 2 02-04-2003 07:44 AM
where can I get evening primrose flowers Tsu Dho Nimh Gardening 9 25-03-2003 10:20 PM
evening primrose dennis Gardening 2 22-03-2003 07:56 AM
Primrose Amanda McClelland Gardening 4 28-02-2003 04:28 AM
germinating primula/primrose Erin & Steve Gardening 1 17-02-2003 01:03 AM