Old 30-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered User

Question Pine tree with huge cones

Hi
Is anyone familiar with enormous pines trees , that produce huge cones that sit on top of the branch (rather than dangling from ), and look like bee hives. The tree in question produces red berries in winter.

Can't find it in any of the books I have purchased. I will post picture if no-one has any ideas.

Thanks
Old 30-04-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Pine tree with huge cones

mark_monroe wrote:
Hi
Is anyone familiar with enormous pines trees , that produce huge cones
that sit on top of the branch (rather than dangling from ), and look
like bee hives. The tree in question produces red berries in winter.

Can't find it in any of the books I have purchased. I will post
picture if no-one has any ideas.

Thanks

The various species of Araucaria (e.g., Norfolk Island pine) have cones
that weigh 10-15 pounds each. These can suddenly fall without warning.
According to Sunset, "they are not trees to sit under."

However, a coniferous tree that produces cones does not produce berries.
The southern magnolia (M. grandiflora) produces cone-like seedpods.
When they dry and split open, there are red berry-like seeds.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/

[IMG] code is On

Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
Pine cones are falling and scales aren't opening Elena Sofia Lawns 1 15-07-2006 05:07 AM
Fallen Pine Cones meirman Lawns 3 20-11-2004 12:11 AM
Pine trees loaded with cones Judi Canaan Gardening 5 11-09-2003 10:04 PM
[IBC] Pine Cones Dan Saulsbury Bonsai 4 11-07-2003 11:37 PM