Old 19-11-2004, 05:46 PM
meirman

Default Fallen Pine Cones

Hi!

What do most people do with their pine cones when they fall off the
tree?

I thought I would be "natural" and leave them there. So I have for 20
years. But I've noticed that when I step on them, it forces them into
the ground (often somewhat wet and soft) and kills the grass, and then
when I sit on the ground, I always seem to be sitting on a hard pine
cone that is sticking out a little.

Of course they do break down eventually (5 to 15 years?), but what do
most of you do with them when they fall, and what would you do with
all the ones that are poking out of the ground now?

Thanks a lot.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Old 19-11-2004, 08:12 PM
The_Critic

"meirman" wrote in message
Hi!

What do most people do with their pine cones when they fall off the
tree?

I thought I would be "natural" and leave them there. So I have for 20
years. But I've noticed that when I step on them, it forces them into
the ground (often somewhat wet and soft) and kills the grass, and then
when I sit on the ground, I always seem to be sitting on a hard pine
cone that is sticking out a little.

Of course they do break down eventually (5 to 15 years?), but what do
most of you do with them when they fall, and what would you do with
all the ones that are poking out of the ground now?

Thanks a lot.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

I just moved into a house with 11 pine trees and so far I have been picking
them up once a week for the trash pickup. I hate them, I hate them, I hate
them. My neighbor has told me he uses them as fire starter when he uses his
fireplace, and keeps a bag handy when he wants to build a fire. I tried it
once and they really worked well, but it is not that cold here yet so I
haven't used them since. Meanwhile I'm just bagging them for trash pickup.
Now I just have to figure out a use for pine needles.

Old 19-11-2004, 08:34 PM
GFRfan

http://www.members.carolina.net/pineneedles/where.html
http://www.herhobbies.com/basketweaving/pine.shtml
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...144846939.html
Old 20-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Doug G

meirman wrote:
Hi!

What do most people do with their pine cones when they fall off the
tree?

I thought I would be "natural" and leave them there. So I have for 20
years. But I've noticed that when I step on them, it forces them into
the ground (often somewhat wet and soft) and kills the grass, and then
when I sit on the ground, I always seem to be sitting on a hard pine
cone that is sticking out a little.

Of course they do break down eventually (5 to 15 years?), but what do
most of you do with them when they fall, and what would you do with
all the ones that are poking out of the ground now?

Thanks a lot.

Meirman

At the county rehabilitation hospital near me patients would make
holiday wreaths by gluing them to donut shaped pieces of Masonite.

I put mine in a yard waste recycling bag and set it out for the garbage
man. The squirrels usual get to them before me.