Old 05-05-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gill Passman

Default Good plants for a shady area

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a few weeks....I'm in the
process of replanting part of my garden - it was ravaged by the dog over
the winter and most of the the plants have been destroyed (along with
the lawn). The dog has now been evicted from this part of the garden.

The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and
trees in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for
planting other than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

TIA
Gill
Old 05-05-2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a few weeks....I'm in the
process of replanting part of my garden - it was ravaged by the dog over
the winter and most of the the plants have been destroyed (along with the
lawn). The dog has now been evicted from this part of the garden.

The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and trees
in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for planting other
than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

TIA
Gill

Here's a nice one:
http://tinyurl.com/k2z2x

Or, paste the long link back together:

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp....y=0&go=submit

Never mind the vendor - they're expensive. You should have no problem
finding this plant in England. There's a white-flowered variety, too. The
leaves really stand out in the shade. Nice plant, spreads at a moderate
pace, but it's easy to control. I've got it in zone 5, upstate NY, and it
laughs at snow & ice.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

This site has a list of shade perinnals

http://www.sunnurseries.com/pdf/shade-perennials.pdf

Old 05-05-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a few weeks....I'm in the
process of replanting part of my garden - it was ravaged by the dog over
the winter and most of the the plants have been destroyed (along with the
lawn). The dog has now been evicted from this part of the garden.

The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and trees
in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for planting other
than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

TIA
Gill

Also, the best book on earth for shade plants: The Complete Shade Gardener,
by George Schenk. Be careful. The book makes so many plants sound
interesting, you may need to take out a 2nd mortgage.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Fri, 05 May 2006 18:37:34 +0100, Gill Passman
wrote:

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a few weeks....I'm in the
process of replanting part of my garden - it was ravaged by the dog over
the winter and most of the the plants have been destroyed (along with
the lawn). The dog has now been evicted from this part of the garden.

The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and
trees in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for
planting other than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

TIA
Gill

In my shade garden I have a mix of annuals and perennials. Ferns,
pachysandra, lily of the valley, mondo grass, wandering Jew,
inpatients, ivy, and several varieties of coleus. There are a few
varieties of lawn grasses that will tolerate shade, but some dappled
sun is needed for grass to grow well.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Fri, 05 May 2006 18:37:34 +0100
Gill Passman wrote:

[]
The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and
trees in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for
planting other than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

TIA
Gill

Hi Gill,

You really want uk.rec.gardening (urg). The faq page will probably
tell you all you need to know, and for your climate too.

For shade:

http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqshade.htm

The main faq:

http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/urgfaqs.htm

Also as usual the rhs is very helpful. The plant selector
is at

http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx

and will enable you to find what you need for very specific needs.

HTH

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gill Passman

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I've had these before....certainly have a space were they would
fit in....

Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gill Passman

higgledy wrote:
This site has a list of shade perinnals

http://www.sunnurseries.com/pdf/shade-perennials.pdf

Thanks...quite a list there....I'll do some googling on some of them
before my next trip to the nursery...I'm familiar with many of them but
am always on the look out for something a bit more unusual....Astilbes
don't seem to do very well in my garden but could well be worth another
go....

Gill

Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gill Passman

wrote:

[...]

I've always considered Busy Lizzies to be full sun plants - how much
success do you have with them in the shade compared to full sunlight?
Sounds like an interesting idea for this summer

Grass and shade is an ongoing problem in the garden....but at least by
evicting the dog it gets a small chance of recovering....

Gill
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gill Passman

Emery Davis wrote:
On Fri, 05 May 2006 18:37:34 +0100
Gill Passman wrote:

[]

[...]

Thanks....I did try uk.rec.gardening once but my post got lost in
amongst thousands of troll messages - I never went back....is it quieter
now?

The links are good - the RHS one I think will be of great value not just
for this question but for the rest of the garden as it develops - Can't
think why I didn't think of it as I've got a cousin who works at Wisley
and if asked I'm sure would supply me some plants...

Gill

Old 06-05-2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Sat, 06 May 2006 12:09:49 +0100
Gill Passman wrote:

Emery Davis wrote:
On Fri, 05 May 2006 18:37:34 +0100
Gill Passman wrote:

[]

The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and
trees in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for
planting other than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

[]
Thanks....I did try uk.rec.gardening once but my post got lost in
amongst thousands of troll messages - I never went back....is it quieter
now?

Quieter, but by no means troll-free. For reasons best explained
by the British URG is massively attacked now and again. Still,
it is a very knowledgeable source for our gulf stream influenced
climes. Sometimes advice from this americanocentric group
does not apply well to the UK or even northern Europe.

The links are good - the RHS one I think will be of great value not just
for this question but for the rest of the garden as it develops - Can't
think why I didn't think of it as I've got a cousin who works at Wisley
and if asked I'm sure would supply me some plants...

Indeed, RHS is always a great source. Also for finding plants using
their "plant finder." I live in Normandy, but there are many species
unavailable here that can be ordered from the UK.

-E

Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Gill Passman wrote:
I've always considered Busy Lizzies to be full sun plants - how much
success do you have with them in the shade compared to full sunlight?
Sounds like an interesting idea for this summer

The single impatiens (American for "busy lizzie") does beautifully in
the shade, but the double ones that look like little roses need much
more sun.

I've grown them profusely on a shaded north foundation in extremely poor
soil and on a rock bank with almost no soil and only a bit of wood mulch
where they actually reseeded themselves and came roaring back the next
year.

I have quite a lot of shade in my garden and last year I planted
"non-stop begonias" which were spectacular from May to frost. I dug them
up and kept them in the basement after frost, and planted them in pots
this spring and 4 out of 5 are growing beautifully. The flowers are
huge, long-lasting and vibrantly colored. They are expensive but they
are worth every penny.

--Jenny

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes Diabetes Info

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm Get Your Blood
Sugar Under Control
Old 06-05-2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
Jenny wrote:

Gill Passman wrote:
[...]

We let these guys ( double impatiens) live out side as long as
possible then rip them ( Propagate) and start new ones over winter in
house. Sometimes we lose a few sometimes we nurture a few.

Neglect in a large pot with my bamboo begonias seems to work well.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 06-05-2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Randy

On 2006-05-05 13:37:34 -0400, Gill Passman
said:

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a few weeks....I'm in the
process of replanting part of my garden - it was ravaged by the dog
over the winter and most of the the plants have been destroyed (along
with the lawn). The dog has now been evicted from this part of the
garden.

The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and
trees in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for
planting other than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

TIA
Gill

Astilbe is real nice.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

On 2006-05-05 13:37:34 -0400, Gill Passman
said:

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a few weeks....I'm in the
process of replanting part of my garden - it was ravaged by the dog
over the winter and most of the the plants have been destroyed (along
with the lawn). The dog has now been evicted from this part of the
garden.

The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and
trees in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for
planting other than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

TIA
Gill

Astilbe is real nice.

Yep, we have a few Astilbe and they are nice. Today we bought some
Lamium ('Pink Pewter') and it looks like the foliage will really look
nice in the shade.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

[IMG] code is On

How do i grow grass in a shady area? ddawgg10 Edible Gardening 1 11-04-2009 09:27 AM
Vine for Shady Area Jim Marrs Texas 1 17-02-2004 12:40 AM
veg. in shady area miklol United Kingdom 3 08-06-2003 11:08 PM
Suggestions for small shady area Andrew Thomson United Kingdom 4 17-04-2003 10:20 PM
grass for shady area? cheryl Gardening 5 25-02-2003 08:39 PM