Old 07-05-2006, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default When to plant tomatoes.

Bette wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

Someone who posts silly or offensive messages just to get people riled up.
You are beginning to seem like a troll because you have refused to answer
questions which would allow people to give you excellent advice that's
specific to your location.

I live in Pa. Thought I gave an answer in that some regions require
early planting others like colder climates do not.

Yikes, I do not want to offend anyone. Because this is a bit new for
me, I tend to be a big cautious. Like my husband said don't tell
anyone where you live.
He's not on Newsgroups and does not recognize the nice people.

Here I was giving tons of info and not taking into consideration your
feelings.
Shall I continue or am I behaiving like some dork?
Bette

Bette,

We can understand your wanting to not give people your exact address but
it would not hurt to at least give the county or area of the state that
you live in.

And it has nothing to do with feelings. We can't help you if you won't
supply us with SOME information that will allow us to give you accurate
information.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 07-05-2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Barb wrote:
bette, figure out what zone you are in an plant accordingly. Here in
pittsburgh, we are in zone 5. still too cold at night to plant tomatoes.

Thanks Barb. We are in zone 4, according to the farming - Lancaster
guide of planting.
We have a neighbor who plants them in pots then when the frost is not
a threat, they put them in the ground.
Bette

Old 07-05-2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

Mike Hunt wrote:
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
Travis M. wrote:

This is such a cool group. Thanks for your info and humor.
Bette
Troll anyone?
I am not only new at gardening but not familar what a troll means.
Bette

Someone who posts silly or offensive messages just to get people riled up.
You are beginning to seem like a troll because you have refused to answer
questions which would allow people to give you excellent advice that's
specific to your location.

Hi Doug, I live on Willowen drive in Rochester NY (hope that is specific
enough for you)

What excellent advice can you give me about tomatoes?

You're part of that Lake Ontario shoreline heat bubble that floats over
Rochester not does not extend into the Finger Lakes. You should be
safely in zone 6A... when other things in nature are going to plan, that is.

I used to confidently put out many of my plants in late May when I lived
in that region, until one year when we got eight inches of snow dumped
on us at that time. That was in 1989. The cold wasn't the problem that
day. It was the weight of the snow that did the damage.

When we lived on the Lake Erie shoreline (zone 5), we didn't really dare
put anything out until June. And when we lived in the Southern Tier
(Jamestown, near the PA-NY border, zone 4), it was for sure that nothing
went into the ground before mid-June. Late spring frosts were a *******
in that region.

Meanwhile, these days in Salt Lake City, zone 6B, my plants have been
out under row covers and W.O.W for weeks now.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Not@home wrote:
Go to http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ for a map showing the zones
gardeners us and figure out which zone you live in, as all advice
requires that information.

Thanks ALL for your help. Improving our soil is almost too funny. In
that this was once a farming area but sold out to some contractor to
build homes.
The soil is black and rich, yet I notice most everyone takes impeccable
care of their front lawns; landscaped to perfection.

Finally we have the dandelions under control. Twice Chem Lawn came.
The first time it poured right after he placed the first application on
an acre of those impossible yellow weeds. Washing it all away, he came
back yesterday and did the same things.
Within hours the stems turned over.
The man who mows our lawn also mentioned we have tons of chickweed and
named some other stuff that is growling, preventing a lush lawn. So
little by little it will look nice.

No, we're not that competitive where our lawn must be the best on the
street just nice.
Bette

Old 07-05-2006, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"Bette" wrote in
oups.com:

Thanks ALL for your help. Improving our soil is almost too
funny. In that this was once a farming area but sold out
to some contractor to build homes.
The soil is black and rich, yet I notice most everyone
takes impeccable care of their front lawns; landscaped to
perfection.

my lawn has a lot of moss. i like moss. you don't have to mow
it
however, it also shows i really need to lime my soil, as moss
prefers acidic soil... the mossy pasture will get limed first
though. the livestock doesn't eat moss.

Finally we have the dandelions under control. Twice Chem
Lawn came. The first time it poured right after he placed
the first application on an acre of those impossible yellow
weeds. Washing it all away, he came back yesterday and did
the same things. Within hours the stems turned over.
The man who mows our lawn also mentioned we have tons of
chickweed and named some other stuff that is growling,
preventing a lush lawn. So little by little it will look
nice.

ew, Chem Lawn? that's really unhealthy for your enviroment.
seriously, it sets you up for a continuous need for chemicals
to maintain your lawn by killing all the worms & bacteria that
makes up a healthy soil.
dandelions like good dirt. i don't treat them because they
have deep tap roots that help breakup a hardpan level (happens
if the land was mechanically plowed frequently) & my tortoises
really like to eat them
don't rely on ChemLawn to tell you what your lawn needs.
they're in the business to keep selling you chemical
treatments you don't really need. talk to your local county
extention agent. they offer free & appropriate advice on lawn
& garden care.

No, we're not that competitive where our lawn must be the
best on the street just nice.

i know you said you were retired... in my experience places
like ChemLawn often try to take advantage of those of us who
are older by pitching that thier chemical treatments will make
life "easier". it's not true.
also, if you decide to place any flower beds in your front
yard, those chemicals they spray on the lawn will do nasty
things to your flowers (or if they spray upwind of your veggie
garden, the wind drift will do bad things to the veggies)
lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of

Old 07-05-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

enigma wrote:
"Bette" wrote in
oups.com:

my lawn has a lot of moss. i like moss. you don't have to mow
it
however, it also shows i really need to lime my soil, as moss
prefers acidic soil... the mossy pasture will get limed first
though. the livestock doesn't eat moss.
ew, Chem Lawn? that's really unhealthy for your enviroment.
seriously, it sets you up for a continuous need for chemicals
to maintain your lawn by killing all the worms & bacteria that
makes up a healthy soil.

Yes I know and wonders for my allergies. yuck

[...]

Thanks for your wisdom and advice. Wow you know SO much.
Bette

Old 07-05-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Bette" wrote in message
ups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
Marigolds seem to keep nematodes away, but they're not much of an issue
with
tomatoes. And, forget the moon.

Had to google to understand menatodes. Something to do with fungi, but
not keeping the bugs away.
Do you use a chemical bug spray for your veggies? If so would it be a
dry or spray on.
How do you keep out the critters other than using a fence.
I heard dry blood does the trick, but when it rains, it is washed away.
Bette

Only lunatics use chemicals on their vegetable gardens. These products have
never been, and never will be proven safe, because they cannot be tested in
a scientifically valid fashion, like medicines.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Bette" wrote in message
Only lunatics use chemicals on their vegetable gardens. These products have
never been, and never will be proven safe, because they cannot be tested in
a scientifically valid fashion, like medicines.

Thanks for your insight. We would only use chemicals to help our lawn.
Cannot recall what my dad did.
So how do you protect your veggies from bugs?
Bette

Old 07-05-2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mike Hunt

Default When to plant Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Bette" wrote in message
ups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
Marigolds seem to keep nematodes away, but they're not much of an issue
with
tomatoes. And, forget the moon.

Had to google to understand menatodes. Something to do with fungi, but
not keeping the bugs away.
Do you use a chemical bug spray for your veggies? If so would it be a
dry or spray on.
How do you keep out the critters other than using a fence.
I heard dry blood does the trick, but when it rains, it is washed away.
Bette

Only lunatics use chemicals on their vegetable gardens. These products
have never been, and never will be proven safe, because they cannot be
tested in a scientifically valid fashion, like medicines.

Where is your excellent advice on tomatoes, Doug? Wasn't I specific enough
with my location?

187 Willowen Dr
Rochester, NY 14609-3233

Call me if you want.

(585) 467-3339

Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Bette" wrote in message
Only lunatics use chemicals on their vegetable gardens. These products
have
never been, and never will be proven safe, because they cannot be tested
in
a scientifically valid fashion, like medicines.

Thanks for your insight. We would only use chemicals to help our lawn.
Cannot recall what my dad did.
So how do you protect your veggies from bugs?
Bette

Chemicals on your lawn eventually end up somewhere. Can you guess where?

Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"Bette" wrote in
ups.com:

enigma wrote:

bunch of deleated stuff

Thanks for your wisdom and advice. Wow you know SO much.

when i was 3, i told my grandpa i was going to be a farmer.
he wasn't a farmer, per se, he worked for the Erie Lackawanna,
but he had an acre of veggie garden out back (with flowers
mixed in, of course). i used to weed (not much because he kept
between the rows tilled), pick veggies & catch toads in the
garden.
eventually i got older & people thought i should pick a job
like teacher or something. i went to college as an ag major
(over much objection by my parents). growing stuff is just
what i do.
oh, & i have llamas & chickens, too. and a 5 year old.
lee had the kid at 47

Old 08-05-2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Holley

We're not being nosey with our question....... Where one lives
determines the growing season zone, and that is the clue to when you can
safely plant tomatoes. I, too, live in PA. IF I lived in the southern
counties, I'd be in one zone, if in a northern county, it'd be a
different zone, but in central PA, we're in zone 6 where it's a few days
too early to plant tomatoes - still a chance of frost. You are
"probably" in zone 6, too, but far enough south of us to go ahead and
plant them now. Just listen for frost warnings on WGAL!

ilex
in Beautiful Perry County, PA

Bette wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

WHERE in Pennsylvania?

Um . . .well in a lovely ranch overlooking the Amish country.
Bette

Old 08-05-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

enigma wrote:
"Bette" wrote in
ups.com:

when i was 3, i told my grandpa i was going to be a farmer.
he wasn't a farmer, per se, he worked for the Erie Lackawanna,
but he had an acre of veggie garden out back (with flowers
mixed in, of course). i used to weed (not much because he kept
between the rows tilled), pick veggies & catch toads in the
garden.

You have wonderful memories as I do. An acre of garden must have been
a delight with flowers and his favorite veggies

eventually i got older & people thought i should pick a job
like teacher or something. i went to college as an ag major
(over much objection by my parents). growing stuff is just
what i do.
oh, & i have llamas & chickens, too. and a 5 year old.
lee had the kid at 47

What an interesting life. You write beautifully. Have you considered
writing and publishing a book?
I love dogs and finally did something about it. After several
seminars at Cornell University I studied Canine Behavior Modification.
(our two children were in college and needed to get out and also
study.)

Volunteered my time at our local SPCA in Jersey, where we worked with
biters. Dogs ready to be put down, needed that second chance.

In that so many have undetected ear infections will bite. The vets,
carefully muzzled them and it took forever to clean out the ear canal,
followed by antibiotics.

After the pain was alleviated we did some careful study of the dogs
behavior.
If and when a child is bitten ~ put the dog down. Sad but true, the
parents are not watching and dogs should not be allowed to participate
in a baby's activities.
We learned about Pack theory and how Fido will treat the baby as the
lower one in his pack. As wolves, dogs will bite. It is their
nature.
When puppies play, they bite ~ their way of communicating.

Okay ~ let's talk about veggies. So glad we decided to wait to plant
our tomatoes. Last night was cold and rainy.
Bette