Old 05-05-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Default When to plant tomatoes.

Hi, I am new and just joined your nice group. I was told not to plant
tomatoes until the last full moon in May. We would love to have a
vegatable garden and wonder where and when to start.

Thanks so much.
Bette

Old 05-05-2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

Bette wrote:
Hi, I am new and just joined your nice group. I was told not to plant
tomatoes until the last full moon in May. We would love to have a
vegatable garden and wonder where and when to start.

If you live in south Texas, you missed the right time. If you live in
North Dakota, it's not time yet. If you live in the southern hemisphere,
it's another 3 to 7 months before the time is right.

The soil needs to be warm enough, and nighttime lows need to be high
enough. It also makes a difference if you're just going to put them in
the ground, or whether you plan to tend to them, doing things like
covering them at night, and whether any mulch is involved. It could vary
depending on the side of your yard you're planting them.

But the only thing you've told us is that you're new to the group. Since
this group is world-wide, there's not a lot we can tell you.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 05-05-2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am new and just joined your nice group. I was told not to plant
tomatoes until the last full moon in May. We would love to have a
vegatable garden and wonder where and when to start.

Thanks so much.
Bette

Where do you live?

Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am new and just joined your nice group. I was told not to plant
tomatoes until the last full moon in May. We would love to have a
vegetable garden and wonder where and when to start.

Where do you live?

Doug and Warren:
My hubby and I recently moved to Pa from New Jersey. We lived in a
55+ retirement community for eight years. The people were wonderful,
but we could not have our own garden, clothes line or some of the
things we had in our other house.

My dad always had a large vegetable garden in their back yard in
Massachusetts. But am not sure when he started planting.
I can recall wonderfully full tomatoes, zuccinni, rows of string
beens, beats, potatoes, and some corn. Seems like we also had winter
squash.
I have some wonderful memories of dad and mom weeding. Each evening
they would water down the garden and he would use some kind of
chemicals for the bugs.

At the end of the season, my folks spent days canning tomatoes and my
mother had this wonderful recipe for tomato Chutney.

Thanks for responding. Finally the unpacking is at an end and we're
looking forward to a small garden. Our neighbor suggested chicken
fencing around to keep out the critters.
Bette

Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"Bette" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi, I am new and just joined your nice group. I was told
not to plant tomatoes until the last full moon in May.
We would love to have a vegatable garden and wonder where
and when to start.

the last full moon in May? there's usually only one full
moon...
anyway, it depends entirely on your location. i'm in zone 5.
my last frost date is May 11 (the full moon in May is May 13),
so i can put my transplants out after May 11.
of course, i want them to grow faster so i'll build them
little mini greenhouses around thier raised beds & keep them
nice & warm until June. i have little faith in last frost
dates
lee

--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of

Old 06-05-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

enigma wrote:
"Bette" wrote in
oups.com:
the last full moon in May? there's usually only one full
moon...
anyway, it depends entirely on your location. i'm in zone 5.
my last frost date is May 11 (the full moon in May is May 13),
so i can put my transplants out after May 11.
of course, i want them to grow faster so i'll build them
little mini greenhouses around thier raised beds & keep them
nice & warm until June. i have little faith in last frost
dates
lee

Thanks for your information. I like the mini greenhouse idea to
prevent frost.
Bette

Old 06-05-2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Bette" wrote in message
ups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

WHERE in Pennsylvania?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Doug Kanter wrote:

WHERE in Pennsylvania?

Um . . .well in a lovely ranch overlooking the Amish country.
Bette

Old 06-05-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lawrence Akutagawa

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Bette" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi, I am new and just joined your nice group. I was told
not to plant tomatoes until the last full moon in May.
We would love to have a vegatable garden and wonder where
and when to start.

the last full moon in May? there's usually only one full
moon...

chuckle Not necessarily so. Remember the phrase "once in a blue moon"?
It refers, I believe, to the second full moon in a month. Doesn't happen
often, but happen it occasionally does.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:

WHERE in Pennsylvania?

Um . . .well in a lovely ranch overlooking the Amish country.
Bette

I understand your desire to maintain a certain level of anonymity, but like
New York, Pennsaylvania's terrain varies tremendously. Without the name of a
town within maybe 20 miles of yours, there's no good way to advise you about
your tomatoes. How many years have you been gardening?

Old 06-05-2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
the last full moon in May? there's usually only one full
moon...

chuckle Not necessarily so. Remember the phrase "once in a blue moon"?
It refers, I believe, to the second full moon in a month. Doesn't happen
often, but happen it occasionally does.

Just wasn't sure. Now that my folks are gone, I often think of their
hard work and would like to share in that same wonderful, (get my hands
in the dirt).
Being a Tuarus gal, I am drawn to the earth and it just seem so very
natural to dig in and plant.

This is such a cool group. Thanks for your info and humor.
Bette

Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
the last full moon in May? there's usually only one full
moon...

chuckle Not necessarily so. Remember the phrase "once in
blue moon"? It refers, I believe, to the second full moon in
month. Doesn't happen often, but happen it occasionally
does.

Just wasn't sure. Now that my folks are gone, I often think of
their hard work and would like to share in that same wonderful,
(get my hands in the dirt).
Being a Tuarus gal, I am drawn to the earth and it just seem so
very
natural to dig in and plant.

This is such a cool group. Thanks for your info and humor.
Bette

Troll anyone?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 06-05-2006, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Travis M. wrote:

This is such a cool group. Thanks for your info and humor.
Bette

Troll anyone?

I am not only new at gardening but not familar what a troll means.
Bette

Old 06-05-2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
Travis M. wrote:

This is such a cool group. Thanks for your info and humor.
Bette

Troll anyone?

I am not only new at gardening but not familar what a troll means.
Bette

Someone who posts silly or offensive messages just to get people riled up.
You are beginning to seem like a troll because you have refused to answer
questions which would allow people to give you excellent advice that's
specific to your location.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Doug Kanter wrote:

Someone who posts silly or offensive messages just to get people riled up.
You are beginning to seem like a troll because you have refused to answer
questions which would allow people to give you excellent advice that's
specific to your location.

I live in Pa. Thought I gave an answer in that some regions require
early planting others like colder climates do not.

Yikes, I do not want to offend anyone. Because this is a bit new for
me, I tend to be a big cautious. Like my husband said don't tell
anyone where you live.
He's not on Newsgroups and does not recognize the nice people.

Here I was giving tons of info and not taking into consideration your
feelings.
Shall I continue or am I behaiving like some dork?
Bette