Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Registered User

Default Norway Spruce

I have a small Christmas tree ( Norway Spruce) in the garden. There are hundreds of new shoots all over it, but the inner branches seem to be brown and dying? I now notice that lots of branches are showing signs of yellowing all along them up to the new shoots? Anyone any ideas why this is happening? is it dying? starving? ( London ) I'm not really a gardener with any knowledge.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alfred Falk

emimec wrote in
:

I have a small Christmas tree ( Norway Spruce) in the garden. There are
hundreds of new shoots all over it, but the inner branches seem to be
brown and dying? I now notice that lots of branches are showing signs
of yellowing all along them up to the new shoots? Anyone any ideas why
this is happening? is it dying? starving? ( London ) I'm not really a
gardener with any knowledge.

Likely normal. The old inner branches are shaded by the new outer growth
and die off. Spruce trees get to be hollow as they age.

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk
R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://www.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/

[IMG] code is On

Norway spruce question Kathy McIntosh United Kingdom 5 02-01-2011 10:07 AM
Norway spruce billwilliams Gardening 8 13-12-2009 01:54 AM
Norway Spruce turned brown/yellow Novice2 United Kingdom 5 01-12-2009 09:30 AM
Large spruce overgrowing small spruce? Dave K. Gardening 1 09-05-2004 02:03 PM
Weeping Norway Spruce as landscape plant Matt Gardening 5 04-05-2004 05:02 PM