Old 21-05-2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sally

Default Need *Tall* Plants, Western NY

Hi all,

I could use some plant recommendations for a strip of soil I have that runs
along my neighbour's ugly fence.

I'd like some tall plants that return every year that will cover up the
fence or hide part of the fence.

Preferably, these would be fast growing and relatively easy to acquire.

I currently have clematis growing up a portion of it which is ok....and tons
of daylillies, but these are low growing.

I was thinking bamboo? *grin* I am in Zone 5, maybe 6?

Any other thoughts?

Sally

Old 21-05-2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Seems we have a similar problem only I have the fence! LOL. Just a little
wire green garden fence I put in for boundary of our lots. Not nice
neighbors (they have had a mattress and other misc. items piled up for
several mths in their back yard) and they are on a downward slope from my
garden. Not a pretty site.

I have planted Leyland Cypress but they are still babies so I am trying to
come up with other ideas until they can cover it up. I have also planted Ivy
for soil erosion and trying to get it to climb. Also I just received my
hyacinth bean vine seeds but they are annuals. What about Trumpet Vines?

What kind of fence are you talking about? Wood or wire? How tall?

Elaine

Old 21-05-2006, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Oh I forgot to mention, I also thought about bamboo until I researched it.
Very invasive unless you get the clumping kind and that is expensive. I am
in Ga and was going to use the "free on the side of the road" kind...Cane
bamboo but it would have taken over everything and once it gets started you
can't stop it, kinda like Kudzu..

Old 21-05-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Holly hocks will do great. Morning glories and sunflowers might be OK, but
will probably have to be reseeded each spring. Bamboo was too invasive for
me. You might try blackberries or raspberries, but they too are invasive
(on both sides of the fence).

Dwayne

Old 21-05-2006, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article , "Sally"
wrote:

Hi all,

I could use some plant recommendations for a strip of soil I have that runs
along my neighbour's ugly fence.

I'd like some tall plants that return every year that will cover up the
fence or hide part of the fence.

Preferably, these would be fast growing and relatively easy to acquire.

I currently have clematis growing up a portion of it which is ok....and tons
of daylillies, but these are low growing.

I was thinking bamboo? *grin* I am in Zone 5, maybe 6?

Any other thoughts?

Sally

Japanese Holly?

Bill who loves black bamboo.

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 21-05-2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

I have bamboo, akebia, and hardy kiwis in Zone 5.5. Bamboo grows too
slowly in our zone, even though I have the cold-hardiest (phyllostachys
nuda). It will still range many feet, so it will cross your driveway
and head for the hills. Akebia and kiwis will both cover your fence
quickly, if you are willing to build a basic trellis to support them,
as they both grow 20ft/year. None of them disappears in the winter, of
course. Bamboo stays green in a mild year but diesback most years. You
still have to mow it down if you want it to disappear.

Old 22-05-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sally

I've heard that about bamboo...but I am waaay up north, and wondered if that
still applies up here. I have a friend who planted some bamboo and it
didn't seem to take over the world (yet).

S.
. ..

Old 22-05-2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Sally wrote:
I've heard that about bamboo...but I am waaay up north, and wondered if that
still applies up here. I have a friend who planted some bamboo and it
didn't seem to take over the world (yet).

S.
. ..
"Sally" wrote in message
Hi all,

I could use some plant recommendations for a strip of soil I have that
runs along my neighbour's ugly fence.

I'd like some tall plants that return every year that will cover up the
fence or hide part of the fence.

Preferably, these would be fast growing and relatively easy to acquire.

I currently have clematis growing up a portion of it which is ok....and
tons of daylillies, but these are low growing.

I was thinking bamboo? *grin* I am in Zone 5, maybe 6?

Any other thoughts?

Sally

Until you figure out what you want to do, why not plant a row of tall
sunflowers? Plant morning glories at their base so that they grow up the
stalks and you'll end up with a nice temporary screen for this summer.

--Jenny

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes Diabetes Info

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm Get Your Blood
Sugar Under Control