Old 24-05-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
rob

Default why the grass doesnt grow?

Hello everyone,

My lawn grass doesnt grow when summer is coming because people step
on it. However it is still truning green. Is anyway to fix this
problem? using the averation?

Thanks,
Robert

Old 24-05-2006, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone,

My lawn grass doesnt grow when summer is coming because people step
on it. However it is still truning green. Is anyway to fix this
problem? using the averation?

Thanks,
Robert

How much "stepping on" are you talking about? And, can you stick a trowel
into the soil with about as much effort as it takes to stick a fork into a
well-done steak?

Old 24-05-2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
rob

thank you for replying
people sometime goes through my grass to shortcut.
I saw my soil is very solid in some area

Thanks,
Rob

Old 24-05-2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone,

My lawn grass doesnt grow when summer is coming because people step
on it. However it is still truning green. Is anyway to fix this
problem? using the averation?

Thanks,
Robert

How much "stepping on" are you talking about? And, can you stick a trowel
into the soil with about as much effort as it takes to stick a fork into
well-done steak?

thank you for replying
people sometime goes through my grass to shortcut.
I saw my soil is very solid in some area

Thanks,
Rob

Aeration could help, but it will become compacted again quickly if you don't
stop people from walking on it. This can be as simple as temporary metal
posts and some wire fence material. I'd keep it in place until late autumn.

Old 24-05-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
rob

yes I wont let people to step on again by setting up the fence.
The problem is how to fix this problem

Thanks,
Rob

Old 24-05-2006, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Dig it up, maybe 6" deep. Remove rocks and anything else that doesn't belong
there. Buy peat moss. ***READ THE INSTRUCTIONS - YOU CAN'T RUSH THE CORRECT
METHOD FOR USING IT***. Mix with soil to make it fluffier. Firm the soil
with a wide plank of wood. NOT YOUR FOOT. Seed, cover with burlap, water
gently using a fine mist and ONLY a fine mist. The burlap achieves several
things: Keeps birds from eating seed. Keeps soil from getting crusty due to
watering or rain. Keeps soil moist.

When the grass is a few inches tall, gently lift off the burlap. Rinse it,
let it dry, and save it for the next spot that needs the same treatment.

oups.com...

Old 25-05-2006, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hal

On 24 May 2006 11:02:47 -0700, "rob" wrote:

thank you for replying
people sometime goes through my grass to shortcut.
I saw my soil is very solid in some area

Thanks,
Rob

Before you start digging try watering. Water at the time people
usually use your lawn for a short cut and water until the grass has 1"
of water a week, then cut what grows. A bit more water won't hurt
the grass if you need to turn it on to discourage someone's presence.

Regards,

Hal
Old 25-05-2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Hal" wrote in message
On 24 May 2006 11:02:47 -0700, "rob" wrote:

thank you for replying
people sometime goes through my grass to shortcut.
I saw my soil is very solid in some area

Thanks,
Rob

Before you start digging try watering. Water at the time people
usually use your lawn for a short cut and water until the grass has 1"
of water a week, then cut what grows. A bit more water won't hurt
the grass if you need to turn it on to discourage someone's presence.

Regards,

Hal

Soil compacts MORE when it's wet and walked/knelt on.

Old 26-05-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hal

On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:52:13 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Soil compacts MORE when it's wet and walked/knelt on.

Sure does, but with watering the grass doesn't seem to have a problem.
Some clay soils have to be watered longer and lighter to soak the
water in deep enough to encourage deeper healthy root growth. The
OP didn't say where he is or what kind of grass or soil, and I'm
betting he simply needs to water and cut. You may engineer him a new
lawn if you like, I just expressed my opinion.

Regards,

Hal