Old 22-01-2010, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT To bad someone in our congress doesnt have the guts to say this.

aluckyguess wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOFe85cmAE

I am not a voter for your congress but I would hope that my elected
representatives were more perceptive and informed than the speaker in this
clip. Being unable to distinguish between climate and weather does not fill
me with confidence that the speaker understands anything about climate
change.

David

Old 22-01-2010, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

aluckyguess wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOFe85cmAE

I am not a voter for your congress but I would hope that my elected
representatives were more perceptive and informed than the speaker in
this clip. Being unable to distinguish between climate and weather does
not fill me with confidence that the speaker understands anything about
climate change.

David

That's the knee jerk argument. My skepticism comes in as to how much
weather change is man made vs just what mother nature does. We hear
other planets in our solar system are also warming and I don't think
anybody there are driving SUV's.
Old 22-01-2010, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOFe85cmAE

I am not a voter for your congress but I would hope that my elected
representatives were more perceptive and informed than the speaker in
this clip. Being unable to distinguish between climate and weather
does not fill me with confidence that the speaker understands
anything about climate change.

David

That's the knee jerk argument.

I don 't understand that comment. What is knee-jerk about saying a person
who doesn't understand the difference between weather and climate is
ignorant? What is knee-jerk about wanting my representatives to be
perceptive and informed?

My skepticism comes in as to how much
weather change is man made vs just what mother nature does.

Weather does change all the time. We need to consider if the earth's
climate is changing and if so why. These are two different issues.

We hear
other planets in our solar system are also warming and I don't think
anybody there are driving SUV's.

Where did you hear that? Assuming for moment that the climate was changing
on other planets from natural causes why would that show that climate is not
changing on earth from human causes?

We know that the earth's climate has changed in the past naturally and it
may well do so again. That by itself says nothing about whether it *is*
doing so naturally this time. This question has been much studied and there
is considerable evidence available that points to the cause this time being
human activity.

David

Old 22-01-2010, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

Weather vs climate is what I call knee jerk reaction as that is always
the reason given. I understand it.

Do some research on the other planets warming. See what you find on the
internet.

Heartland Institute, which is anti, has a very intriguing study on US
earth bound temperature measurement stations where about 90% are out of
specs, e.g. originally out in a field, away from buildings and now
surrounded by them. Also see what they say about the carbon dioxide
correlation.

Satellite data has been showing cooling. Look it up.

If you want to see the mindset that drives the global warming crowd,
read Michael Crichton's novel, "State of Fear". There are those that
profit from the "crisis."

Old 22-01-2010, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

I like a good novel.

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=12457&tid=282&cid=13366

Bill being a long haired leaping gnome likes visions like.

http://www.amazon.com/Ecotopia-Ernes...2019/ref=ntt_a
t_ep_dpi_1

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/757.html What is Global Dimming??
Less light more shade world wide food implications
Reduction of Vitamin D too?
Old 22-01-2010, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

I did not bring this up, it was the leading argument of the speaker in the
video.

Do some research on the other planets warming. See what you find on
the internet.

No thankyou since I already said it is irrelevant.

Heartland Institute, which is anti, has a very intriguing study on US
earth bound temperature measurement stations where about 90% are out
of specs, e.g. originally out in a field, away from buildings and now
surrounded by them. Also see what they say about the carbon dioxide
correlation.

I am sorry I am not dredging through a whole website. If you have a
particular point give a link to it and I will do my best to address it.
That way we will at least be talking about the same item not my guess about
what you mean.

Satellite data has been showing cooling. Look it up.

If you want to see the mindset that drives the global warming crowd,
read Michael Crichton's novel, "State of Fear". There are those that
profit from the "crisis."

Of course there is nobody who will profit from preserving the status quo so
any opinion that leads to doing nothing must be based only on the desire to
have open and honest debate..

David

Old 23-01-2010, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

Funny you should mention that, Frank. Read the paper today?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0121170717.htm

If you want to see the mindset that drives the global warming crowd,
read Michael Crichton's novel, "State of Fear". There are those that
profit from the "crisis."

If I were a straw man, I would be terrified of you, Frank, but not to
worry. Donald Trump and his shock economists are ready to do for Haiti,
what they did to New Orleans. I'm sure that the gentrification of Port
au Prince will make him a richer man, Frank.

If your going to make an assertion Frank, give us a cite. Don't waste
our time on a snipe hunt. "According to a September 20 NASA news
release, "for three Mars summers in a row, deposits of frozen carbon
dioxide near Mars' south pole have shrunk from the previous year's size
.. . ." Three data points, Frank? Three? A real "tea-bagger" should only
need one.

If you want to have some fun, read
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1130192921.htm
or
http://eesc.columbia.edu/courses/w49...olden.1993.pdf

Go get real facts, Frank, like http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/ ,
or
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1130192921.htm .

OK, Frank, let's say that the majority of scientists are wrong. We spend
all this money for nothing, and we look dumb. The other alternative is
that they are right, we do nothing, and then we are screwed. Which way
would you have it, Frank, looking silly, or screwed?

Personally, I just wish that one of our Congresspeople would have the
guts to stand up and admit that Congress works for the corporations, not
the citizens. Corporations are the ones that are fighting regulations on
greenhouse gases. Wake up, Frank.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 23-01-2010, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

It does not, there is nowhere that proves it has anything to do with human
activity.
It actually proves otherwise. We may have polluted the planet with things
that can cause us harm, but as far us having anything to do with
climate or weather change there is not one bit of factual evidence. The
Earth has been warming since the ice age, and it's the least of our
problems. Mr. Gore should focus more on herbicides and other chemicals that
pollute the planet.

Old 23-01-2010, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

OK show me such proof.

We may have polluted the planet with
things that can cause us harm, but as far us having anything to do
with
climate or weather change there is not one bit of factual evidence.

What is weather change?

The Earth has been warming since the ice age, and it's the least of
our problems.

Show me the evidence.

Old 23-01-2010, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.nhteapartycoalition.org/t...d-heres-proof/

We may have polluted the planet with
things that can cause us harm, but as far us having anything to do
with climate or weather change there is not one bit of factual evidence.

What is weather change?

A giant scam.

The Earth has been warming since the ice age, and it's the least of
our problems.

Show me the evidence.

Is the earth frozen over, if not it must of warmed

Old 23-01-2010, 07:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

OK you are a joker. You had me going for a while

David

Old 23-01-2010, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/22/2010 10:18 PM, Wildbilly wrote:
In ,

Frank wrote:
aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

You are dead wrong about corporations. They always go where the money
is. When the money is with government, they go for it. I can cite
examples with DuPont and GE.

Old 24-01-2010, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:

Heartland Institute, which is anti, has a very intriguing study on US
earth bound temperature measurement stations(snip)

I am sorry I am not dredging through a whole website. If you have a
particular point give a link to it (snip)

Just for your info David: Senator Fielding attended a conference run by the
Heartland Institute prior to the ETS debate. No doubt you'll remember the
brouhaha. Crikey has some interesting things to say about it:
http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/06/09/...tic-heartland/