Old 24-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Registered User

Default Bluebells

Hi.
Has anyone got any idea what could be eating all the leaf tips of our bluebells which were planted nearly two years ago. We don't have rabbits or deer and thought bluebells were poisonous to most insects and animals.
Thanks
Old 25-05-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

there are a few pests that are immune to bluebells. if the tips are
munched on it is likely due to rabbits. if there are holes in the
leaves, it would either be slugs or earwigs.

Old 26-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks555
there are a few pests that are immune to bluebells. if the tips are
munched on it is likely due to rabbits. if there are holes in the
leaves, it would either be slugs or earwigs.
Thanks so much for that. Could it be hares also? There are some holes in the leaves and the tips are all gone - about five thousand of them! We don't have any rabbits but I suppose it could be both hares and slugs/earwigs.
Old 27-05-2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

what is a "hare"? is it furry with a tail, long ears, whiskers and
hops around before eating all the vegetables in your garden?

Old 29-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks555
what is a "hare"? is it furry with a tail, long ears, whiskers and
hops around before eating all the vegetables in your garden?
Rick. Where do you live? I thought hares were everywhere. They are very cute but cause terrible garden problems, particularly to young trees. Here is a link to tell you about them: http://www.ipcc.ie/infohare.html Believe me, if you don't have them, you don't want them! However I do think the bluebells are being eaten by slugs or earwigs as you suggested. How do I deal with that over about one acre of woodland? Most grateful for any ideas.
Many thanks.
Liz
P.S. Hares go a bit mad in March hence the expression "Mad as a March hare", A March hare went to the Mad Hatter's tea party in Alice in Wonderland.

Old 31-05-2006, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

Liz,

I live in the northeast and we don't have a "hare" problem like you
may, but we do have rabbits.
It is most likely that your bluebells are being munched on by the fast
multiplying hares.
However, if you want to try and determine as to whether you have slugs
or earwigs, here is how to tell: slugs are nocturnal so go out after
dark with a flashlight and look for them. also, slugs eat from the
inside out. so if your foliage is missing the tips, it is probably not
due to slugs. if you want to control slugs anyway, the best and safest
way is with a slug trap like this one:
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page919.html
It is less likely that earwigs are your problem because growing plants
are not their main diet. earwigs usually dine on other types of
insects, mosses, algae and lichens which is why you'll often see them
in heavily wooded areas. controlling earwigs is possible with
pesticides such as diazinon or sevin but usually not recommended until
you get them in your house. (they are pretty creepy little pests.)

Old 01-06-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

ricks555 wrote:

It is most likely that your bluebells are being munched on by the fast
multiplying hares.

Years ago I can recall my mom having bluebells and we sang a song
about, Blue Bells and Cockle Shells.
What are cockle shells?
Bette

[IMG] code is On

Bluebells Plant Thieves Tarzan United Kingdom 5 11-04-2005 09:37 PM
English bluebells jane United Kingdom 24 09-05-2003 01:08 AM
Spanish bluebells Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 02:20 AM
Bluebells on the lawn Fred United Kingdom 2 14-04-2003 07:08 PM
Spanish Bluebells Todd J. Gardening 6 28-03-2003 07:32 PM