Old 06-06-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Joe

Default Large Maple Branch Broken

I was wondering if the arborists and/or tree lovers in the group had
any advice for me.

In massachusetts, we have had some strong windstorms and steady rains
over the past few weeks. Last saturday night, I hear a crash and
looked out to find that our "leaning maple" had lost a large branch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68629864@N00/161641659/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68629864@N00/161641658/

My question is, what is the prognosis here? The branch took a fairly
large chunk of the trunk down with it, so it is obviously weaker at
that point than it once was. Is there anything I can do to "clean" the
wound and remove the crotch that developed so water and insects dont
collect there? Or do I need to take it down? If it falls, there is
nothing in its path, and it still appears to have some life left in it,
so I would love to save it.

Thanks in advance for the toughts and advice!

Joe

Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
M.Paul

Hi Joe,
That is a large limb that came down - fortunately the rest of the tree looks
good and that damage to the trunk is not as bad as it could have been. From
what I remember (when I was a kid working on my parents' orchard) we would
cut away the bottom so that water didn't pool. Then we would paint the
wound. I think that we just used a glossy white paint, but there's probably
something available at your local nursery specifically for this purpose.
Good luck. M.Paul

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Broken branch on apple tree mmmkay777 Edible Gardening 1 29-07-2011 02:10 PM
How do I repair broken branch on Oak tree? [email protected] Gardening 9 05-06-2009 05:13 PM
Broken Branch bandd98 United Kingdom 2 07-08-2005 10:57 PM
center branch broken Ablang Gardening 1 04-09-2004 06:27 AM
Broken branch on nectarine tree - will they ripen? Richard Sherratt Australia 14 08-02-2004 07:26 PM