Old 15-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Milton Keynes
Red face How can I recycle my turf?

Do anyone know the easiest/best way to recycle newly cut turf(sod) as I have just cut out some flower beds and have loads of turf as a result. I want to reuse it if possible as it has a lot of good soil attched to it. It's currently grass side down in stacks.

I thought I heard some time ago about an "off the shelf" mixture which kills the grass and roots thus breaking it down - but that's all I can remember.

thanks
Old 15-06-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How can I recycle my turf?

Two suggestions:

1) if you have any bare spots in your lawn, use the sod to fill in and
establish a good grassy area.

2) if you are a vegetable gardener, let the sod sit (just as you have
it - turf down; roots up) and let it decompose for about a year. Then,
when you go to plant potatoes, us the rotted sod as compost. You will
be pleased with the results.

Mark

--
Largeloins

Old 15-06-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/15/06 10:23 AM, in article
, "
wrote:

Two suggestions:

1) if you have any bare spots in your lawn, use the sod to fill in and
establish a good grassy area.

My favorite use! I do this often; my lawn has terrible bare patches (crappy
contractor soil). But around the gardens the lawn has improved just from
spilled manure/compost etc. So every time I cut out a few more inches (just
another six inches dear) I place the sod in a hole in the lousy section with
as much of the original soil I can manage and water well for a few days.

2) if you are a vegetable gardener, let the sod sit (just as you have
it - turf down; roots up) and let it decompose for about a year. Then,
when you go to plant potatoes, us the rotted sod as compost. You will
be pleased with the results.

Thanks, I really want to do potatoes one of these days, I remember this
trick!
(cheryl)

Mark

Old 15-06-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Largeloins wrote:
Do anyone know the easiest/best way to recycle newly cut turf(sod) as I
have just cut out some flower beds and have loads of turf as a result.
I want to reuse it if possible as it has a lot of good soil attched to
it. It's currently grass side down in stacks.

I thought I heard some time ago about an "off the shelf" mixture which
kills the grass and roots thus breaking it down - but that's all I can
remember.

thanks

If you want to reuse the dirt just leave the turf upside down and the
grass will wilt and die. Leave it long enough and it will turn into a
layer of compost. At any rate the dirt will be reusable without the
grass coming up again if done properly.

George

Old 15-06-2006, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:

If you want to reuse the dirt just leave the turf upside down and the
grass will wilt and die. Leave it long enough and it will turn into a
layer of compost. At any rate the dirt will be reusable without the
grass coming up again if done properly.

George

Have you ever tried that with bermuda grass, George?

Best regards,
Bob

Old 15-06-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

If you want to reuse the dirt just leave the turf upside down and the
grass will wilt and die. Leave it long enough and it will turn into a
layer of compost. At any rate the dirt will be reusable without the
grass coming up again if done properly.

George

Have you ever tried that with bermuda grass, George?

Best regards,
Bob

Nope, AFAIK a nuclear strike is the only solution for bermuda grass. I'm
not even sure that would work. Back in the day I was told by a nuke
instructor that cockroaches and bermuda grass would inherit the earth.
We have great success with bermuda by pouring gasoline on it and
torching it. Burned up the !@#$% asphalt driveway with the gas though.

George

Old 16-06-2006, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Largeloins said:

Do anyone know the easiest/best way to recycle newly cut turf(sod) as I
have just cut out some flower beds and have loads of turf as a result.
I want to reuse it if possible as it has a lot of good soil attched to
it. It's currently grass side down in stacks.

The last time I had any amount of turf cut out for a new bed, I used
some to patch other parts of the lawn, and put the rest out in front of
the house with a 'free sod' sign. A neighbor down the street was very
happy to take it to patch his lawn.

Considering all the autumn leaves and such I bring home each fall, it's
only fair to offer something in exchange...

(attributed to Don Marti)

[IMG] code is On

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Recycle compost - Whats the best method United Kingdom 4 08-03-2004 10:12 AM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM