Old 15-06-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak

Default More snakes in the garden

I went next door to sit with neighbor and watch the kids play. We walk over
to her old garden, now a holding bed. We notice a long snake, brown and tan
in the compost bin.

Now - over the weekend (at camp) I hear that the Easter Diamondback has been
seen in more suburban areas after the drenching rains we've had. OK - right
color, kind of small in diameter, but I have a curious 7 year old (aka DD)
and an exuberant 5 year old (aka DD's Best Friend and next door neighbor).
Sh*t!

"get the kids inside and get animal control; I think it might be a
diamondback".

Neighbor hustles kids inside

She gets her oldest (19 and an Eagle Scout) son outside -
"color is off, but that varies. Head is round not squared. Kind of thin"
(rattlers are husky snakes)

Creep closer - we agree it looks like more like a python - some one's
escaped pet? Cops are "tied up" (this is a scary thought), Animal Control is
closed for the day. Decision one - take pictures. Duly done.

Lets capture it - get a container with a lid. She grabs a plastic storage
tote.
"Hey - B..., you're a man - grab it and dump it in"

"NO WAY" "How about a pair of tongs?"

She grabs the tongs, hands them to me as he won't do it, I grab the snake
and d*mn it strong for such a small snake. About .5 inch in diameter and 6
feet long. It burrows off into the compost heap and is gone.

=====

I come home, and start looking at pythons on line. Doesn't look like any of
the common pet pythons. OK - snakes of NH on google. There it is - I'm right
it is a python (distant relative) - an Eastern Milk Snake.

Guess what - I'll bet there are eggs in her compost heap.

Giggle

Cheryl

Old 16-06-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/15/06 7:13 PM, in article
, "Frank"
wrote:

Clipped from rec.hunting. Lot of good advice.
Frank

What to do (and not do) when you see a snake

by Chad Minter
http://www.envenomated.com

Thanks, I'll save that someplace safe. Here in NE, there is only the Eastern
Diamondback that is venomous and it is rarely in yards and near people. This
year's rainfall has driven them "south" and off the mountains. If I hadn't
heard a reputable report that huge one was seen just a little north of me, I
would have gone straight to my second thought - someone's escaped/released
exotic. I haven't seen a milk snake here before - perhaps another creature
outside its normal venue.

Cheryl

Old 16-06-2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
vincent p. norris

Thanks, I'll save that someplace safe. Here in NE, there is only the Eastern
Diamondback that is venomous

Cheryl, does NE mean Nebraska or New England? I didn't think there
were any venomous snakes in New England.

vince norris
Old 16-06-2006, 11:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
I went next door to sit with neighbor and watch the kids play. We walk

over
to her old garden, now a holding bed. We notice a long snake, brown and

tan
in the compost bin.

....snip.....

Lets capture it - get a container with a lid. She grabs a plastic storage
tote.
"Hey - B..., you're a man - grab it and dump it in"

Let me get this right. You collectively have no idea if this snake is
dangerous nor how to properly handle it. But you tell the male present that
HE must do something about it, although he clearly is smarter than you all.

Might I suggest that you let natural selection take its course in future and
the curious one pick up the unknown snake and play with it. You (the
neighbour) would like to be famous wouldn't you (she)? You could be in the
annual Darwin awards.

David

Old 19-06-2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
news:C0B80720.5B6E5% New England. The Diamondback makes it home all the up
the coast. I've only
seen one in zoos or the science museums. But I know hikers that have seen
rattlers sunning themselves in the mountains.

Cheryl

Snakes are attracted to naked people?

David

Old 19-06-2006, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/19/06 4:05 AM, in article
, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
news:C0B80720.5B6E5% New England. The Diamondback makes it home all the up
the coast. I've only
seen one in zoos or the science museums. But I know hikers that have seen
rattlers sunning themselves in the mountains.

Cheryl

Snakes are attracted to naked people?

David

The thought of one of those hikers naked would be enough to scare the snakes
away - it surely scares me!

Cheryl