Old 18-06-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default holly bushes that I'd like to propagate.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:12:44 -0400, " Netter"
wrote:

I have some holly bushes that I'd like to propagate.

How and when can I do that?

Thanks

You might be successful taking hardwood cuttings, but my father showed
me another way. Dig a trench about 2-3" deep, a foot or two long,
pull down a limb into the trench, make a few scratches into the bark,
weight with a stone, and cover it up. Do 3 or 4 branches. The
next year check for roots then relocate the rooted branch to a
prepared hole in a sunny area. I found this method to be 70-80%
successful.
Old 18-06-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

wrote:

I have some holly bushes that I'd like to propagate.

How and when can I do that?

Thanks

You might be successful taking hardwood cuttings, but my father showed
me another way. Dig a trench about 2-3" deep, a foot or two long,
pull down a limb into the trench, make a few scratches into the bark,
weight with a stone, and cover it up. Do 3 or 4 branches. The
next year check for roots then relocate the rooted branch to a
prepared hole in a sunny area. I found this method to be 70-80%
successful.

Good advice! I wait two years then cut from mother plant but let it
stay one more year then move. Might seem like a long time but once you
start plant transplants you will have new plants every year.

Enjoy!

Bill

PS Think of gifts to friends or children in time. Yet another reason
to go with good varieties.

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 19-06-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Netter

Thanks to both for your comments.

Any suggestions on how to do it with hardwood cuttings.
And what time is best.
Using newly grown wood the best??

Thanks