Old 26-06-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mary Beth

Default Dogwood

I have been having trouble for the first time with my pink Dogwood tree. I've
always had no problem with planting in front of my homes, in fairly all day
sun, during the summer, in well drained soil. They've always come out great.

Now, I've moved to Kansas lately and am having some problems, well one, only
planted one tree, so far, as many ppl here say so many contradictory things
about where to plant. Most have them growing in shadier areas. So I planted
mine, right outside our back window, in full view of office window, to be
able to look at all day while working. J

It did great for about four months, then suddenly started to lose it's
leaves and is now just about dead; still green in some stalks. I've got it
where it gets full afternoon sun, from about noon to 5-6, then shade. I'm
going to move it, before I lose it completely, but thought I'd ask here for
any good info.

Should I place it in more full sun? I did have the area tilled and had a
small amt of sand added, as it's very thick clay here in my area. There are
no other plants nearby, aside from my gorgeous lawn. J At the time it
started to die out we had buckets of rain. I'm thinking it's a drainage
problem. More sand needed? Or just closer to other trees, which is what ppl
here keep saying. But I think they do so well there because of all the roots
from the bigger trees, which will cause better draining soil. We'll be
trimming a lot of trees in the fall/spring, so I don't want to plant too
close to any of them, until we know what we're going to do.

That's one of the things I love about the area we get lots of rain usually
during the night, with the thunder and lightening, (I love this!), then
sunny hot and usually humid days.

So, is there anything I can do with the soil, (am planning today to take
some to the extension office and have it checked, also the areas for
Azaleas, and other parts.) Should I move it to an area that gets more sun,
which is what I did before and they did wonderful, in NJ. Is it the clay
soil? Should I add more sand to the mix, if I move it around to a different
spot?

(To all who are bugged with all the questions, I have a full huge library of
gardening books in the storage locker, but they just happen to be way at the
back and under plenty of other things, like my new lawn mower, seeder,
Weber, you know all the great *summer* stuff? (Gotta get someone to help
rearrange, hub's in a wheelchair and I have really bad bone disease,
especially in knees. So, I'm going to use ya'll for a bit, if that's not a
huge problem. Of course ya'll don't have to help. g)

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. J

Thanks again,

MaryBeth,

Southeastern Kansas

On border of Oklahoma

Zone 7/8

Old 26-06-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dogwoods are an understory tree.

That pretty much says it all. I'm in upstate NY, and where I see it growing
in the wild, it's at its best in the same places as rhododendrons that are
the size of my garage. Dappled sunlight under bigger trees, with deep,
fluffy leaf mulch. I think it'll take more sunlight in home plantings, but
I've read in many sources that it will NOT tolerate "warm feet". This can
result from something as simple as being planted too close to driveways &
sidewalks.

Old 26-06-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Mary Beth" wrote in message
[...]

Clay + sand = cement. Try incorporating organic matter into your
soil.

Midwest summers would necessitate some shade for your dogwood.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 26-06-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Mary

Cornus like the understory. They love shade. Most people make the mistake
of placing them in full sun. This sets a predisposition (I believe) for
anthracnose. For more on predisposition see:
10. Armillaria Root Rots, Predisposition and Poor Sorauer.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

Also proper planting is important. See information on planting he
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html

As far as you question with the soil:
See Proper mulching
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html

The problem with many extension services is that the recommendations for
fertilizer are that for corn? No one really has optimum fertility levels
for trees. Trees are not corn! I would start with proper mulching as
stated above.

You could have the worlds largest library and not have some key books to
help you understand, treatments of trees and their associates. I would
suggest you contact your local library and request these two books for
starters on trees!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

and http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

These are both books written by Alex L. Shigo, BTW he is one of the foremost
authorities on trees and their associates world wide. Most normal thinking
people who read his literature agree.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 26-06-2006, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Oh yes, BTW

Dr Shigo's Literature can be found he http://www.shigoandtrees.com/

Samples of his writings are he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding

us

Old 26-06-2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Travis

If the tree is established digging in the upper four inches (mixing in
organic material) can greatly negatively affect the non-woody absorbing
roots and the mycorrhizae. Placing composted wood chips and leaves on top
(PROPERLY) can help improve soil health. I suggest that people take a look
at what I mean by proper mulching he
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html

It is also worth mentioning the long list of problems associated with
improper pruning of trees. A great place to start for home owners and
gardeners are the following two books.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html for all around care.

And http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html for pruning. Both
books are by Dr Alex L. Shigo and should or shall be available through your
library. If you library needs to order them, they have a site:
http://www.shigoandtrees.com/

Additional articles (some advanced MODERN ARBORICULTURE) can be found here
free of charge (but they do not replace the books mentioned in the latter).

Old 28-06-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mary Beth

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message If the
[...]

Thanks John! As I said in NJ, my dogwoods, (that I was told needed other
tree shade), never grew there, but in full sun.
Probably had more to do with the crawling juniper around the bottom, kept
the water in along with draining too much out. Dunno, but when they were in
the juniper they did great, in full sun, no other large trees around. Ppl
around here all say under trees, but my Dad can't get his to grow that way,
ere either. Will check out the links, thanks for takig the time

Don't care for the juniper but just might use it if I can't get the Dogwood
to grow without it. I believe it was more the good drainage, as the roots
of the juniper were all over that ground.

MaryBeth

Old 28-06-2006, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mary Beth

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message
Oh yes, BTW

Dr Shigo's Literature can be found he http://www.shigoandtrees.com/

Samples of his writings are he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that
will give them understanding.

Thanks John for taking the time to root out all that info.
It is very much appreciated!

MaryBeth off to the library