Old 03-07-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
S.Rodgers

Default Can one grow spring mix (i.e., mezclun) indoors in containers?

Has anyone done this?

I found this reference on the net for a particular brand of seeds:

"2006-07-03 12:51:06
(http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/veg.htm)
Spicy Mesclun Mix
European salad type custom mixture of red and green young salad
leaves, including spicy leaves such as Arugula (rocket), Red Giant
Mustard, Bianca Riccia endive, and mild leaves of red lettuce Marvel
of four seasons, Rouge D' Hiver and Kyona and Tatsoi greens.

Sow every 2 weeks for a continuous supply. Harvest after approx 3
weeks using scissors, some of the plants will re grow."

This sounds great. Sow every 2 weeks for a continuous supply. I
imagine I'd have to sow more frequently as the size of plot isn't
mentioned. But hopefully someone here has done this, or knows of
someone who lives in an apt with balcony, too, and knows _roughly_
what size containers and how often to plant (if this can be done at
all, that is).

Thanks! D

Old 03-07-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

S.Rodgers wrote:
Has anyone done this?

I have done it, with seedling trays (in the US, they are ftX1ftX2inches
plastic containers for growing seedlings) filled with compost (no
seedling containers, just the tray full of dirt). Mesclun grew well and
could be cut almost a couple of times. Of course mesclun will do well
in a part-sun situation.

But, my experience has been that various types of greens grew at
different rates, so I was eating the arugula first, then the tatsoi,
then the rest. It was a pain to cut without damaging the tender growth.
Now I grow it in separate mini-plots in my garden, mixing two or three
types when I cut them. Many of those greens are also adept at
naturalizing in the garden (most notably miner's lettuce, tatsoi,
arugula, mache, peppergrass), so I make sure I let some of them go to
seed, then spread the seeds randomly in the beds. I get extra mesclun
for free that way. Also, they all suffer from being seeded too thickly,
so the new arrangement gives much bigger plants for all greens.