Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
tenplay

Default Where to find sunchokes?

I am a type 2 diabetic and was told that sunchokes (Jerusalem
artichokes) are healthy substitutes for potatoes and easy to grow. I
have a large sunny area in the backyard that is unused and am thinking
of growing them there. But where do I find them? I don't see them in
my local supermarket in Western Washington. And if I find them, do you
just bury them in the ground or is their a special technique? Thanks
for any advice.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
glenon

My neighbor had some growing and she was cutting it down for the year. I
got 2 branches of the plant, planted them and they grew to monsters! They
put our beautiful sunflower like flowers. To use it, just chop some down,
and dig out some of the root, as much as you need - it will regrow. About
finding them in grocery stores, that is rare. But look where they keep the
parsnips, rutabagas, garlic, etc. and you can plant that root.
Right now I have to go out and dig up some thai ginger!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 08-07-2006, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
tenplay wrote:

I am a type 2 diabetic and was told that sunchokes (Jerusalem
artichokes) are healthy substitutes for potatoes and easy to grow. I
have a large sunny area in the backyard that is unused and am thinking
of growing them there. But where do I find them? I don't see them in
my local supermarket in Western Washington. And if I find them, do you
just bury them in the ground or is their a special technique? Thanks
for any advice.

Look here but it is getting late. Still......Next year may be OK.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/default.aspx

These folks are in Maine.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 08-07-2006, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

I'm also a type II diabetic and planted some twelve years ago. They gave
us extreme amounts of gas, stomach upset, and were vigorously invasive
in taking over the property. It has taken me the whole twelve years to
get rid of them.

The only advantage you get is that the sun choke, aka Jerusalem
artichokes, aka Indian sunflowers, are not starchy when eaten fresh.
Once you dig them up and store them they then convert to starch and are
more like potatoes. they were eaten by Native Americans, of which I'm
half blood, but I've seen no historical references as to how tasty they
were. They do have a nice, nutty flavor, are excellent in salads, and
are good tasting when sliced then and stir fried with other foods. If I
were going to plant any today I would do so in a large container to keep
them from spreading. I live in USDA Zone 9b.

George

Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Whoops! Try a Google search for sunchokes and you should find a mail
order supplier.

George

Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
tenplay

tenplay wrote:
I am a type 2 diabetic and was told that sunchokes (Jerusalem
artichokes) are healthy substitutes for potatoes and easy to grow. I
have a large sunny area in the backyard that is unused and am thinking
of growing them there. But where do I find them? I don't see them in
my local supermarket in Western Washington. And if I find them, do
you just bury them in the ground or is their a special technique?
Thanks for any advice.

It sounds like you enjoyed eating them but that they made you ill. Was
it more like an allergy or does it affect a lot of people in similar
ways? If the after-effects are so unpleasant, I guess I don't want to
grow them.

[IMG] code is On

Storing and cooking Sunchokes Daniel Prince Edible Gardening 1 02-01-2009 04:40 PM
Sunchokes glenon Gardening 9 31-05-2006 06:54 PM
Where to find: Emerald Ripple Peperomia - Peperomia caperata Charles Woolever Gardening 0 10-02-2003 05:55 PM
find photos free of roses Marco Mazza Roses 1 01-02-2003 03:45 PM