Old 13-07-2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default We are beginners, trying to plan Fuschia...

So we've planted a couple fuschias on 2 different sides of our house
here in the norhtwest, and we're not sure if they will survive or what
to do. We planted them with miracle-grow soil from a bag, and watered
them, it's been about 4 days, and they seem a bit limp. Is this ok, do
we just need to give them time..should we ad fertilizer, mulch, more
water, something else?

Old 14-07-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

So we've planted a couple fuschias on 2 different sides of our house
here in the norhtwest, and we're not sure if they will survive or what
to do. We planted them with miracle-grow soil from a bag, and watered

Hardy Fuchsia? Or the more commonly available fancy sorts? And where in the
PNW?

them, it's been about 4 days, and they seem a bit limp. Is this ok, do
we just need to give them time..should we ad fertilizer, mulch, more
water, something else?

I prefer to plant hardy fuchsias in the spring and let them settle in
during the cool rains. I've always planted in native soil, topdressed
with lots of compost.

In the last couple of days we've had cool drizzle in the Portland area,
nice for plants you've just set out, but you still will most likely have to
be careful about watering -- most don't much care for going bone dry.
Frankly, at 4 days post transplant in summer, I'd expect them to look a
bit shabby, but not too awful. I'd certainly mulch, and probably give them
some supplementary shade if at all possible, till they get their roots
under them a bit better.

The common fancy sorts that you see in baskets need a lot more water and
shade than the hardy sorts. I've only grown them a couple of times and
again, I've made my baskets in late winter/spring.
Old 14-07-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Not sure what kind they are exactly.

Travis M. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com
So we've planted a couple fuschias on 2 different sides of our
house
here in the norhtwest, and we're not sure if they will survive
or
what to do. We planted them with miracle-grow soil from a bag,
and
watered them, it's been about 4 days, and they seem a bit limp.
Is
this ok, do we just need to give them time..should we ad
fertilizer, mulch, more water, something else?

Are they hardy Fuschia?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 15-07-2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

On 14 Jul 2006 10:00:51 -0700, wrote:

Not sure what kind they are exactly.

Did they come with a name tag or label?

Old 17-07-2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

I found out they are hardy fuchsia.

Charles wrote:
On 14 Jul 2006 10:00:51 -0700, wrote:

Not sure what kind they are exactly.

Did they come with a name tag or label?

[IMG] code is On

Mysterious Fuschia Pen Gardening 0 31-10-2003 05:02 PM
Fuschia's Kari Gardening 2 07-07-2003 03:21 AM
Fuschia Cuttings, when to plant out? Pete United Kingdom 0 30-06-2003 09:56 PM
Fuschia - Will Mine Bloom This Year? Charles Gardening 2 30-04-2003 06:08 AM
Fuschia - Caprice Ian Piper United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 05:08 PM