Old 14-07-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default how to persuade thunbergia to bloom?

Hello,

For the last three years I have grown orange thunbergia (sometimes
called black-eyed Susan VINE) in a hanging pot. The first year, it
bloomed like crazy. The last two years, it barely blooms at all. The
leaves look healthy, and it climbs well, but very few flowers. It gets
sun, water, fertilizer, etc. I even bought them from the same place.
The ONLY differences are the year (2004 vs 2006) and the soil. The
year they bloomed, it was Miracle-Gro. This year, it's Dollar Store
Brand. Okay, so next year I need to buy Miracle-Gro or something
comparable. But this year I have used a lot of fertilizer, including
all three "main" nutrients (N, P, K) and several micronutrients.

How can I get *this* year's plant to bloom? I don't think I can
re-soil it without destroying the roots.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

Old 14-07-2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb

Ted, try moving it out of direct sun. I fried the first ones I planted but
for the past three years I have them under the overhang on my driveway and
they cover the underside of the covering with flowers. You have to remember
to water it liberally.

--

Betsy
oups.com...

Old 15-07-2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

wrote:
[...]

I am trying a coupla thunbergias and they do not seem to be the
aggressive growers and flowere-ers that I read about. Not dead - but not
vigorous either. maybe flowering later in the year?
Anyway - perhaps they are like passiflora which have a reputation for
not flowering when receiving lots of nitrogen - just using the energy
for growth.

I dunno

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 15-07-2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb

This is the second year on this plant. Last fall I trimmed it back and
dragged it inside for the winter. Came back very nicely and fuler this year.

--

Betsy

Old 15-07-2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
[...]

I've had success with this, particularly with roses that don't bloom as long
as I want them to. Might work for your thunbergia. It helps if you can fake
an Eastern European accent while threatening the plant.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...1911-trp.shtml

Old 15-07-2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I've had success with this,

. . . .
It helps if you can fake
an Eastern European accent while threatening the plant.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...1911-trp.shtml

Looks like something I'd want to use on uncooperative computers, too.

Ted Shoemaker

I've come so close... :-) If hammers worked as badly as computers, there'd
be riots in the streets.