Old 22-07-2006, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can "Yucca" be a English name?

I'm a Chinese girl,
I want to have a English name.
I like the word"Yucca",
so could you tell me that
can yucca be a English name for a girl?
I wonder that whether the word has some bad meanings
..

Old 23-07-2006, 12:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

it is too close to the sound we make for something that is disgusting..
"yuck"
Ingrid

wrote:

I'm a Chinese girl,
I want to have a English name.
I like the word"Yucca",
so could you tell me that
can yucca be a English name for a girl?
I wonder that whether the word has some bad meanings
.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 29-07-2006, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 22 Jul 2006 03:02:28 -0700, wrote:

I'm a Chinese girl,
I want to have a English name.
I like the word"Yucca",
so could you tell me that
can yucca be a English name for a girl?
I wonder that whether the word has some bad meanings
.

Yucca is the Spanish (or Indian?) name for a plant. It has no bad
meanings. Go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca

for information about the plant.

Old 31-07-2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from Persephone contains these words:

Hah! Gotta share this story. I was volunteering at an elementary
school, helping the kids, mostly Hispanic, some of them disadvantaged
due to not much English at home.

Was reading a story about how some pirates ran off with their booty,
when the whole classroom erupted in giggles.

Teacher kindly explained alternative meaning of "booty"

Just to add to your education.. In Britain, every male and female
has a "fanny" (which is also a girl's name). It does not mean the same
area of the anatomy it does in America.

:-)

Janet.

Really, what does it mean then? Fanny means butt/buttocks/ass as far as
I always understood it. (And three out of four of my grandparents were
from the UK.) If there's another meaning for it in America, I don't know
it.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Janet Baraclough wrote in

Was reading a story about how some pirates ran off with their

booty,
when the whole classroom erupted in giggles.

Teacher kindly explained alternative meaning of "booty"

Just to add to your education.. In Britain, every male and

female
has a "fanny" (which is also a girl's name). It does not mean the

same
area of the anatomy it does in America.

:-)

Janet.

Really, what does it mean then? Fanny means butt/buttocks/ass as

far as
I always understood it. (And three out of four of my grandparents

were
from the UK.) If there's another meaning for it in America, I don't

know
it.

Never use "fanny" in any English speaking country outside North
America. You'll be considered to be extremely coarse

Old 01-08-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in news:44cf3d68$0$1512$5a62ac22
@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

[...]

Frankly, I detest the word. It sounds much more vulgar to me than "ass".
I always felt dreadfully sorry for any poor girl who had to bear that
name.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Never use "fanny" in any English speaking country outside North
America. You'll be considered to be extremely coarse.

It has a meaning similar to "piece of a**" or "bearded clam"

Also napkin has a different meaning and is put on a fanny. Use
serviette in non-US restaurants or stores to avoid embarrassment.

Other translations:

Brit: US

Agony Aunt: Advice Columnist
Aluminium Miner: Street Person With Grocery Cart of Recyclables
Apple: £20
Artic or Articulated Lorry: Tractor-Trailer or Semi
Aubergine: Eggplant
Auntie's Coming: That Time of the Month
Baby Marrow: Zucchini
Ballocking: Severe Reprimand
Ballocks: Bullshit
Balls Up: Screw Up
Bangers: Sausages
Baps: Breasts
Bill: Check
Biscuit: Cookie or Cracker
Bitter: Beer
Bloody: Frickin
Blower: Telephone
Boot: Car Trunk
Bonnet: Car Hood
Braces: Suspenders
Bridie: Meat Pie
Bum: Butt
Chat Up: Hit On
Chips: French Fries
Courgette: Zucchini
Cracker: White Trash
Crisps: Potato Chips
Crumpet: Bread that is Toasted
Fag: Cigarette
Holiday: Vacation
Jacket Potato: Baked Potato
Lift: Elevator
Nappy: Diaper
Poke: Paper Bag
Pram: Baby Carriage
Pudding: Any Dessert
Roundabout: Traffic Circle
Rubber: Eraser
Scone: Biscuit
Spotted Dick: Suet & Raisins or Currants
Suspenders: Garter
Tea: Milk with Tea Added
The Bee's Knees: The Best
Torch: Flashlight
Trolley: Shopping Cart

For more visit:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/britain/dictionary.jsp

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 01-08-2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

There are also some positive references to the name Yucca, as in the
character Dr. Yucca on the Ergonica website www.ergonica.com. (See the
poetry page or garden tools for quotes from Dr. Yucca).

However, I agree that a girl with the name "Yucca" would probably get a
lot of teasing in the US. Perhaps a take-off name like "Yuki" or
"Yumi" might be more acceptable? These names have no meaning in US
English, as far as I know. If you pronounce "Yuki" as YOO-kee, and
"Yumi" as YOO-mee, or YUM-mee, you'll be safe and maybe even popular.

Best of luck. Welcome to America!
--
Dr. Yucca is a fictional character. Any resemblance to a real person
by the same or similar name is accidental and highly unlikely.

Frank wrote:
wrote:
I'm a Chinese girl,
I want to have a English name.
I like the word"Yucca",
so could you tell me that
can yucca be a English name for a girl?

Go ahead, if you do not mind being called Yuccky behind your back.
If your inquirey is serious, I know 2 Indians that changed there names
(Sap and Cool Dip)
after coming to US so you are well to ask. How about Rose?

Frank

Old 01-08-2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stephen Henning wrote:
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Never use "fanny" in any English speaking country outside North
America. You'll be considered to be extremely coarse.

It has a meaning similar to "piece of a**" or "bearded clam"

Also napkin has a different meaning and is put on a fanny. Use
serviette in non-US restaurants or stores to avoid embarrassment.

Other translations:

Brit: US

Agony Aunt: Advice Columnist

very dated UK slang, this. Most Brits under about 40 will look at you
strangely if you use this term.

Aluminium Miner: Street Person With Grocery Cart of Recyclables
Apple: £20
Artic or Articulated Lorry: Tractor-Trailer or Semi

Or "transport". (There is no settled term for this vehicle in the US or
Canada.)

Aubergine: Eggplant

Or Aubergine in upscale food stores.

Auntie's Coming: That Time of the Month
Baby Marrow: Zucchini
Ballocking: Severe Reprimand
Ballocks: Bullshit

correct spelling is "********/ing".

Balls Up: Screw Up
Bangers: Sausages
Baps: Breasts
Bill: Check

Or prison guard

Biscuit: Cookie or Cracker
Bitter: Beer

Nope. What the Americans call beer has no counterpart anywhere else in
the world.

Bloody: Frickin

Some older Brits (such as my aged aunt) still hear "bloody" as our
f**king. "Discretion is advised" in the use of this term.

Blower: Telephone

'nother item of imported US slang (from '40s pulp fiction).

Boot: Car Trunk

Or: to fire.

Bonnet: Car Hood
Braces: Suspenders
Bridie: Meat Pie
Bum: Butt
Chat Up: Hit On

"Hit on" has negative connotations compared "chat up. There is no exact
translation of "chat up", IOW, and more's the pity.

Chips: French Fries
Courgette: Zucchini
Cracker: White Trash

"Cracker" in this and related senses is imported US slang. In the US
it's a less offensive term than "white trash".

Crisps: Potato Chips
Crumpet: Bread that is Toasted

or Peach, Tomato (referring to woman)

Fag: Cigarette
Holiday: Vacation

This isn't as simple as it looks. A holiday is a statutory holiday. But
one may come home "for the holidays." as well as fore "the holiday." "To
go on holidays" is to take a vacation. To have a holiday is to have a
day off. Etc. Complicated (but so are the uses of "vacation" and
"holiday/s" in the US and Canada.)

Jacket Potato: Baked Potato
Lift: Elevator
Nappy: Diaper
Poke: Paper Bag
Pram: Baby Carriage

Unless it's a small boat.

Pudding: Any Dessert
Roundabout: Traffic Circle

Also, a merry-go-round.

Rubber: Eraser
Scone: Biscuit
Spotted Dick: Suet & Raisins or Currants
Suspenders: Garter
Tea: Milk with Tea Added

Or Afternoon Snack (but a substantial one. :-))

The Bee's Knees: The Best

This is also US slang (and old, too.)

Torch: Flashlight
Trolley: Shopping Cart

For more visit:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/britain/dictionary.jsp

HTH
Old 01-08-2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Whoever compiled that list was not British, and must have been dead
for half a century, or has been watching some very old black-and-white
films.

The BBC compiled the list. Enough said.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in

Never use "fanny" in any English speaking country outside North
America. You'll be considered to be extremely coarse

Frankly, I detest the word. It sounds much more vulgar to me than

"ass".
I always felt dreadfully sorry for any poor girl who had to bear

that
name.

And I can never understand why Americans keep mistaking donkeys for
derrieres. (VBG)

Old 03-08-2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
m...
Chat Up: Hit On

"Hit on" has negative connotations compared "chat up. There is no exact
translation of "chat up", IOW, and more's the pity.

schmooze?

Old 03-08-2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jasmine or Jasmin**

1. It can be shortened to Jas by friends.
2. Doubt anything funny can be made out of it.
3. It's the name of a flowering shrub and the flower smells nice.
4. It has a Asian/Arabic context so ppl from those races won't find it
un-familiar.
5. It makes a good fit with your Chinese origin. That's a assumption
though since i don't really know how you look, but in either case it
ain't too bad