Old 29-07-2006, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree Suggestions Needed

I'm hoping for suggestions from people who know a little about the growth
habits of various tree's root systems.

On one side of my house there are three windows (2 bedrooms & a bathroom)
that have a view of the neighbor's popup camper. The windows are spaced
closely together spanning about 20'.

The neighbor's frog (room over garage) has a straight view into any of my 3
windows. Between the lack of privacy and the ugly view I keep the blinds
closed all the time which is what I'm trying to remedy. There's only about
10' between my foundation and the prop. line and the neighbor despises trees
that drop leaves or any other kind of debris. This means anything that I
plant can't have a canopy that will cross the line and leave debris in their
driveway.

So...I'm looking for a living screen, something to provide privacy for those
windows but also be pretty for us to look at from inside. It needs to be
either a naturally vertical grower or very acceptable pruning like the
crapemyrtle. I'd prefer it be a very fast grower so I can reap results more
quickly.

I currently have a bunch of crape myrtles in the yard and I'm close to
planting one in the middle of the 3 windows. The *only* thing stopping me,
since that tree has everything else I want, is the horizontally spreading
root system. I already have a very mature crapemyrtle planted against the
front of the house (not by me) that has caused some chimney
foundation/footing damage.

I've been searching online but can't seem to find much information on the
direction roots grow on trees. I find just about everything else I'd need
to know but this one is important. Three trees I've found that I like
visually, and that seem to be able to remain managable in terms of mature
height a

Smoke Tree - Royal Purple
Redbud
Weigela

Unfortunately I don't know about their roots. Any suggestions are welcome.

--
Tara

Old 29-07-2006, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

I forgot to specify that I'm on the border between zones 8 & 9 (Charleston,
SC).

--
Tara

Old 29-07-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
TQ TQ is offline

Have you considered a columnar evergreen?

Compact habit
No leaf litter
Year-round privacy screen

Old 29-07-2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

scfundogs wrote:
[...]

a trellis with a vine?

Also, if there is a 'utility easement' through there, there is a
possibilty of destruction or request of removal - be careful about
planting something expensive if so.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 30-07-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

When you do plant, here are some suggestions.
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html

When the time comes for pruning, here are some suggestions
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub2.html

Here are some other links which may interest you.

1. Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
http://www.treedictionary.com . Look up "logging".

2. Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities
worldwide on tree systems today online at
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

3. Literature Available by Dr. Shigo is he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/treeinfo.html

4. Hard to get Documents
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...get/index.html

If you have any suggestions please let me know. 610-864-5251

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.